Oh, The Places You Can Go! A Guide To East Coast Travel This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Being a native southern Californian, I’m used to driving everywhere when I travel. Moving to the East Coast has given me a ton of opportunities to travel throughout the coast, to major cities and small towns alike, using public transportation. Here are just a few of the useful ways to get around, in case you’re planning a weekend fall getaway or want to get away from the city for a day!

1. Megabus

Megabus is my go-to when it comes to traveling around the East Coast. If you book far enough ahead of time, you can get tickets for around $12. This summer, I took Megabus to Washington, D.C. for July 4th weekend. If you hear the word “bus” and expect it to be gross, no worries here. Megabus buses are actually pretty nice, and they have outlets and wifi. You can go anywhere from Philly to Durham, NC.

2. Bolt Bus

Bolt Bus is essentially the same as Megabus, just with a couple more pickup locations around NYC, and a bus that exculsively goes to and from Boston. Thanks to Bolt Bus, I had the opportunity to spend the weekend in Boston this summer! 

3. Metro-North Railroad

Haven’t been to Bronxville yet? Go. The Metro North isn’t just great for getting us into Grand Central, it’s also perfect for a day or weekend getaway in a cute town along the Hudson line. Bronxville has cute cobbled streets, SoulCycle, delicious restaurants, and a movie theater with $6 movies on Tuesday. You can also head to nearby Scarsdale which has similar vibes and is also a super short train ride. If you’re interested in a longer trip, you could head to Cold Spring where there’s beautful fall foliage, bed and breakfasts, and great fall festivals. Basically any trip you take along the Hudson line this fall will be full of beautfiul views. 

4. Amtrak 

If you’re willing to dish out the cash for higher prices, Amtrak is a speedy, efficient way to travel all around the coast. Small towns like Mystic, CT are easily accessible by Amtrak. Or if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, Amtrak also runs to Montreal. The trains are clean and spacious — basically all you could ask for. 

5. Long Island Rail Road

Three words: Hamptons Fall Trip. The LIRR is right at Penn Station and can get you to the beautiful Hamptons getaway in 3 hours. Not to mention, you can catch those end of summer/beginning of fall Jones Beach concerts easily by using the LIRR.

Wherever you go this fall, remember that with a little planning and public transportation, you’re bound to have a great time! 

Olivia is a junior at Fordham University. She is a Communications major from bright and sunny Southern California, but the East Coast is her second home. She actually does love long walks on the beach, but she also loves being a friend, sister, daughter, and aunt. Most importantly, she hopes her articles make you feel happy.