NYC Bucket List: The Seven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

A wise woman once said, “The essence of pleasure is spontaneity.”

However, the essence of a Bucket List is not spontaneity. As I keep blogging about my adventures in NYC, I keep getting further and further away from my original goal. I’m hardly crossing things off my list, but I feel like I’m having just as many adventures as I would with the list. Things to do just keep falling into my lap! Such is the nature of New York City I suppose. There’s always something exciting just waiting around the corner!

And that’s exactly what happened this week. Sarah and I had gone into the city so that I could try Shake Shack for the first time (wow) and so that we could see the Beatles’ Broadway tribute, Rain. After the show, we were literally rounding the corner into Times Square when we walked into a woman offering bright pink wristbands with MTV’s logo stamped on them.

Now a word of advice to unseasoned Times Square-ers: Normally, when someone offers you something in Times Square do not take it. Seriously. Even if it is a super convincing salesman offering you a free comedy show. Just in case you were wondering how those comedy things work, there is a two drink minimum that you have to buy once you get to the show. The best way to get the ticket hockers to leave you alone is to politely flash them your state ID that demonstrates that you are not 21 – and then they’ll never speak to you again. I promise.

Luckily for Sarah and I, we were slightly more familiar with this particular ticket offer. MTV has a new countdown show (not unlike the sadly cancelled TRL) called The Seven. The show films in front of a live audience, and they want energetic teens to come in and smile a lot for the cameras and act excited about whatever is going on in the show. Sarah and I went a few months ago with our friend Tim, when our idol Whitney Port was on. On that episode, the audience was jam-packed. However, on days when there is no guest, a woman stands outside and recruits people to come in and be a part of the audience.

We were lucky enough to be caught outside of the studio and brought up. The Seven is a lot of fun- all the people that work there are really nice, you get to be on camera, you get to meet the hosts afterward, and if you’re interested in television production, it can be a learning experience too!

I highly recommend going. You can get tickets on MTV’s website, and the show films at 5 every weekday (so you could even get there after your 3:45 class ends!). 

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.