My Roommate’s Dilemma: Dealing with The Ex and The New Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Break ups are never fun; no matter how hard we try to make it look like we’re okay with it, or even happy about it, everyone can agree that break-ups are almost always painful in some way. Beyond the break-up is the mountainous task of moving on. Some find it easy, and others find it difficult; when it is not you but your ex-boyfriend who is moving on first, we usually just find it confusing.

My roommate’s unfortunate luck in love has caught up with her again, and she’s found herself in this confusing situation. As if it weren’t already awkward enough, my roommate’s ex-boyfriend is blowing up every social media outlet with his new relationship. Can you blame her for not knowing how to react? If you find yourself in the same situation as my roommate, here are a few tips for how you can handle yourself when your ex-boyfriend introduces his new girl to the world of social media:

1. Keep your cool: You may find that your heart starts racing when you come across his changed relationship status, but don’t let your emotions get the best of you whether they are sad, jealous, or furious. Going on an angry rant via Twitter or text message will have you looking like the crazy ex-girlfriend, a reputation no girl wants to gain. Even if you were happy for him, I would still advise you to express no emotion; trying to show that you are happy for him by commenting or liking the status may make his new girlfriend feel uncomfortable or intimidated, and it is better to stay uninvolved. The best way to handle the news is to give little or no reaction (publicly) and to pretend as if you didn’t notice it at all.

2. Do not defriend on Facebook: Defriending your ex on facebook is about as mature as stomping your foot when you don’t get your way. In a break-up situation, it is better to try to be mature and confident. If his pictures with his new girlfriend bother you, simply unfollow his posts. Facebook gives you the ability to choose which friends’ posts appear on your newsfeed, allowing you to choose not to be bothered with your ex-boyfriend’s new relationship updates. This way, you don’t have to see what he is up to, but you can keep from committing the social media burn of defriending him.

3. Don’t openly hate on the New Girl: Your friends are there for a reason — vent to them and not to your entire Twitter following. If you feel the need to express your dislike for his new girlfriend, keep it amongst your close friends and family where it won’t get back to her or your ex. Even if she seems like the Wicked Witch of the West, everyone deserves the chance to move on, including you; tweeting about your ex’s new girlfriend will only keep your wheels spinning in reverse.

Like I said, break-ups are neither fun nor easy, and our generation’s obsession with social media has only made things harder. If your ex’s new relationship is strewn across every social media site you use, ignore it to the best of your ability. Moving on means leaving the past behind you, and that’s where he belongs. 

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.