My Fashion Week Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

This year during Fashion Week I scored an amazing internship with Rightster, an Internet startup that handles the live video streaming for all the shows.  It was a great experience that I think you would love hearing about!

My internship was based in an office in the Flatiron District.  All of the work was done on our computers.  My main responsibility was screenshotting each show on each of our client’s websites.  These screenshots are then used as a marketing tool to get more advertisers and clients for future shows.  I also tracked which new clients were embedding our live stream or taped videos onto their websites.  My work was very fast-paced, which was a little intimidating at first, but I quickly got the hang of it.  This was a very educational week that ended with actually seeing a show!

I went to the Zang Toi show on Wednesday of Fashion Week.  I had so much fun!  I had also gone to the Naeem Khan show during the September Fashion Week, and I found this one to be a little different.  Of course, it was much more interesting to me now that I knew a lot more about what goes on behind-the-scenes of the show.  The February week had a different atmosphere, as well.  It seemed a lot more rushed than in the fall.  There were also a lot more technological advancements in terms of ticket scanning.

Once we got through ticket check, we headed over to the theater (where we had second row seats!).  The show “started” at 7, which actually means 7:30.  This was another thing that was different than in September – now I understood this technicality better.  We waited anxiously until the show began.  I absolutely loved this collection.  It featured bold greens, maroons, and blacks – which are my favorite colors to wear.  I also loved the models’ stockings (I wish I could pull them off!).  Unfortunately, the show was over before I knew it (most shows last 15-20 minutes).

After the show, we headed backstage.  It was so exciting to see the models up close.  It was very hectic back there, which makes one wonder how crazy it must be during the actual show.  All in all, the show was such an amazing experience, although I wish it could have lasted much longer.