Michael Guariglia, FCRH’ 17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Name: Michael Guariglia 

School & Year: FCRH’ 17

Major/Minor: International Political Economy/Italian

Campus Involvement: Free Pizza Sketch Comedy, the Ramblers, Fordham Experimental Theatre (F.E.T.), and the Mimes and Mummers

1) How did you start acting and singing? And do you plan on pursing either of them after graduation?

I started acting when I was 12. I played an old man in my middle school’s production of “Annie Get Your Gun.” I was really nervous, and I bounced up and down the entire time with jitters—it was ridiculous. My involvement with singing came later in high school. I was the singer of a garage rock band and was president of my choir.

So, I kind of have this fantasy where I’ll catch a big acting break after graduation—but since that’s highly unlikely, I’ll probably just do small productions here and there to keep me happy and sane.

2) If you could choose, what would your dream role on Broadway be?

Tough question. If we’re talking musical, it would have to be Bobby Strong from “Urinetown”. He’s this satirical tragic hero who sings a bunch of hilarious and show-stopping numbers. The show’s music actually won a Tony in 2002. It’s so good. 

Straight drama, I would without a doubt say Biff Loman from Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman”. I’ve read and seen the play countless times, but I’m always able to discover new complexities in his character. Biff also has one of the most emotionally intense scenes in modern theatre, and I’m all about that.

3) Favorite Broadway show:

Ah, this is an even tougher question! Since I’ve already gushed over “Urinetown” and “Death of a Salesman”, I’ll also mention “Cabaret”. The whole show makes you reflect on history and society, from the music, to the choice of characters, to the way the plot is structured. I saw The Mimes and Mummers’ production last year (in Collins Auditorium), and I was blown away with all that they accomplished. 

4) If you had to describe seeing Hamilton in a phrase, what would it be? 

Inspiring. I was lucky enough to see it with the original cast, and yeah, believe the hype. I was so inspired by the idea that normal citizens, with determination and hard work, can accomplish the extraordinary simply because they are living in America—the land of the free. I really had to stop myself from chanting “U-S-A-!” in the theater.

5) Favorite college memory involving the Ramblers:

Each year the Ramblers are fortunate enough to sing at the Founders’ dinner. It’s a huge Fordham patronage event which takes place in the grand ballroom of the Waldorf-Astoria. Last year we were eating dinner in our designated waiting room, and someone in our group said “I wish we had some wine right now.” Before he could even finish the sentence, our server dashes over to us and yells “I CAN RUN TO A BODEGA FOR YOU GENTLEMEN! There’s one just around the corner!” We had to respectfully decline, but the flattery was so amusing.

6) It’s karaoke at Beer Hall and it’s your turn to sing. What song do you choose? 

Twist and Shout. Hands down. It’s a crowd pleaser, everybody gets up to dance, and it’s the Beatles. What else could you ask for? 

7) If you could pick a theme song to your life, what would it be? 

You know “The Price is Right” theme song? That. Because although life excites me, it doesn’t come close to the excitement people feel when they’re told to “come on dowwwwwn to be the next contestant on the Price is Right!” I think we should all strive to be that happy. I’ve started a petition to change the Keating bell tower jingle to the P.I.R. theme song to remind Fordham every hour of the contestants’ profound joy.

8) Best advice for people who have stage fright:

First, know your material backwards and forwards and practice it in front of a mirror. Then perform it in front of a friend or two, and when you’re finally on stage just think of the crowd as “one group”, instead of “all these individual people”.

9) Describe your dream job.

Senator Al Franken is basically living my ideal life. He was a writer and performer on SNL in the 70s and 80s, then became a political commentator until 2009 when he was elected to the U.S. Senate. (He can also draw a perfect freehand map of the United States which is completely mind-blowing to watch.) So, yeah, being Al Franken…that’s my dream job.

10) What will you miss most about Fordham after graduation?

Our affectionate community of students. Last year I lived with a rugby player, a violinist, a business student, and a writer—and I believe that that is a testament to Fordham’s unique social scene. There are no real “cliques” here. The student body just feels like a big group of friends who genuinely look out for each other. I will really miss my…dare I say it…“Ramily”.

Natalie is a senior at Fordham University where she is a Communications major, concentrating in Journalism. She's previously been a Public Relations Intern at Rent the Runway, a Features Editor at Seventeen Magazine, and an Editorial Intern at Dance Spirit Magazine. This semester, she has the opportunity to combine both of her passions, dance and journalism, as a Press Intern at the New York City Ballet. She continues to take class at the infamous, Broadway Dance Center as she hopes to enjoy her senior year to the fullest.