The Last Illusion: Under the Tent Outfit Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

This year’s theme for the Under the Tent dance, a semi- formal event the Saturday night of Spring Weekend, is “The Last Illusion: An Evening of Magic and Mystery.”  So what does that exactly mean, especially for the dress code?  This theme is meant to be extremely classy, and much more formal than last year’s Kentucky Derby theme.  Think early 1900s glamour, in the style of Harry Houdini and his following.  Rich fabrics, deep colors, even long dresses and spike heels.  Here are a few ideas from Rent the Runway:

This Allison Parris dress has that rich red color that you most likely see throughout the tent.  The neckline adds drama to a fairly simple silhouette. Larger earrings will draw the eye upward, balancing out the plunge of the dress.

Lace, Lace, Lace.  This grey Vera Wang sheath exudes class.  Long strings of pearls or dropped necklaces will emphasize the detail of the lace.

You can never go wrong with black.  This one shoulder Carmen Marc Valvo has a suble detailing and rushing on the shoulder.  Strappy heels (maybe in a bold color) are a perfect match.

The turn of the 20th century was known for its rustic gold tones, much like the color of this Badgley Mischka gown.  The dress has a cowl back, so think about wearing your hair in a low chignon or over your shoulder if you go with something like this.

This cream Nicole Miller gown allows you to accessorize to the theme.  Headpieces like the one Daisy Buchanan wore in The Great Gatsby began to take form at the turn of the century, but tread the line between flapper and upscale Victorian woman.

Mermaid-cut dresses have the sex appeal of a body con and the class of gown, much like this dark blue Monique Lhuillier.  Chunky, sparkly necklaces will add class and glamour to the rich fabric.

Hi-low: for the girl who wants the formality of a long dress and the ease of a short dress.  Dresses like this Narciso Rodriguez gown are elegant, especially paired with soft curls.

We’re not saying you should break the bank, but pull out the stops to make this dance extravagant!  See you all there, and don’t forget to buy your tickets!

A senior in FCRH, Stephanie is a double major in Political Science and American Studies. She is from Eastchester NY, which is about 20 minutes away from Fordham. She is involved in the Fordham Dance Team, is a Secretary of the Residence Hall Association board, New Student Orientation, and various other clubs.