Lady Gaga’s Documentary “Gaga: Five Foot Two”: Why You NEED To Watch It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

On Friday, September 22, Lady Gaga’s documentary “Gaga: Five Foot Two” premiered on Netflix and Little Monsters everywhere finally got a glimpse into the pop icon’s life. Lady Gaga has been going through a new era in which she is more stripped down and all-natural; gone are the days of her meat dress and egg cocoon.

Source: ew.com

The documentary spanned the time that Gaga created and began to promote her fifth album “Joanne”, which is named after her late Aunt. Since the entire hour and forty minutes of the documentary was a fascinating look into the seemingly mysterious life of one of the biggest pop stars in the world, it is important to notice some key scenes.

First, Lady Gaga revealed her personal struggles, showing that her life is not totally glamorous. After her split from her ex-fiancé Taylor Kinney, Gaga said that she constantly feels alone and that she can never have the perfect work and social life balance. “My love life has just imploded,” she said. “I sold 10 million records and lost Matt Williams. I sold 30 million and lost Luc. I did a movie and lost Taylor. It’s like a turnover. This is the third time I’ve had my heart broken like this.” 

Next, Gaga finally addressed her feud with Madonna. This feud all began in 2011 when Lady Gaga released her smash hit “Born This Way” and Madonna said that the song sounded a little too similar to her 1989 hit “Express Yourself.” What did Gaga say about this? Well, she wished Madonna was honest with her and said it to her face.

Lady Gaga and Madonna pre- feud in 2009 doing a sketch together on SNL.               Source: thatgrapejuice.net

Another major plot line in the documentary was that Lady Gaga is actually suffering from chronic pain in her hip. Gaga breaks down several times about her immense pain and acknowledges her privilege since she is able to receive extensive help from doctors. Also, she got her makeup done during a doctor’s appointment and it was absolutely incredible.

Source: theatlantic.com

Lastly, viewers got a total behind- the-scenes look into the making of her Super Bowl half time show, including when Gaga found out she got the gig. It is evident how hard Lady Gaga has worked to achieve this lifetime goal and it melted everyone’s heart so see how much she was grateful for the opportunity.

Source: rollingstone.com

It is safe to say that “Gaga: Five Foot Two” was perfection. Throughout the entire documentary, in which she went everywhere from “The American Horror Story” set to Walmart, Lady Gaga was gracious and went above and beyond for her fans and the Haus of Gaga team; she is an amazing role model who exudes self-love and respect. “Gaga: Five Foot Two” is a must see on Netflix- it is rare to witness such a pure talent with an equally pure heart!

Madeline is a member of the class of 2020 at Fordham University, pursuing a double major in Journalism and Economics. Some of her favorite things include every Real Housewives franchise, Levain Bakery, and wishing she were the fifth member of Fifth Harmony.
Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.