Instead Of A Resolution, Give Yourself A 2018 Power Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

I’ve always found New Year’s Resolutions overrated. While they are idealistic they are also rather unattainable. To say “I’m going to get in shape” or “I’m going to volunteer more” are great things to say, but there is no course of action behind those words. It is very hard to commit to something without a plan. The old cliche rings true: easier said than done. Also, sometimes our resolutions are too demanding, or might even require more time than just one year. New Year’s resolutions are very limiting; only choosing one aspect of your life to try and improve.

With all this being said, I am proposing a new way to make the most of a new year. Instead of a resolution, pick one word you want to describe your future year. This word is what you will live your life by, it will guide you through the decisions you make and endeavors you go on. It can be any word from thankful to ambition. My word for 2018: Open-minded.

With this concept you are not limiting yourself to only progressing in one way. Being open-minded means trying that new exercise class you might’ve never taken before and it means volunteering with an organization that you’ve never heard of before.

Choosing one word to live by is greater than a goal, it is a change in lifestyle. Plaster the word everywhere. Write it on post-its hanging on your desk and make it your laptop screensaver. Whatever motivates you to better yourself, do it. The new year awaits.

Images 1 & 2