How To Stay In Shape Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Need to work off all the late-night finals binge eating you did? No worries, we’ve got you covered. 

1. Salads. Obviously, a salad is the saddest meal of all time but in reality, they don’t make you fat so you actually have to eat them. To be honest, no one wants to eat a bunch of vegetables (ever) but you can make it better with other semi-desirable ingredients, like GRILLED chicken and dressings (on the side, obviously).  Say no to croutons. One salad that doesn’t make me want to kill myself is a caprese salad. It’s super yummy and you sound chic ordering it on a date.

2. Juicing.  I have a love/hate relationship with juicing. On one hand, it’s a quick way to drop a few lbs but on the other hand, being hangry all day is no bueno. If you want to juice and be miserable, I would suggest the blueprint cleanse since its cold pressed and most of them aren’t entirely disgusting. You could also buy a juicer, but that costs $$$ and college kids are poor, duh.

3. Soul Cycle. Fun music + celeb sightings + burning 700-900 calories= Yes, please. Also, think of the Instagrams.

4. Yoga. Yoga is probably the best way to not only get a work out in, but also to be able to let go of some stress and anxiety. Make sure to memorize the names of the poses so that you can sound like an avid yogi to your friends, i.e. shavasana, which is basically naptime at the end of every session. Bingo.

5. Vodka-soda. A vodka-soda and/or vodka-tonic are pretty much the only drinks you can have that are low cal and will still get you feeling tipsy. Yes, it tastes kind of TERRIBLE but in reality, you only need a few and by then you won’t care what it tastes like.

6. Self-tanner. Being tan makes you look skinnier. Fact. But tanning gives you wrinkles and we’re not trying to look like a used Bob’s discount leather couch by the age of 30. The best self tanner I’ve ever used, and probably will ever use, is San Tropez. Make sure to also buy the little mitt that helps you to apply the tanner so that you don’t end up looking streaky or orange.

7. Blogilates. This adorable, petite Asian girl on YouTube is my saving grace in the wintertime when the outside world is too cold and barren to endure. She has videos for EVERYTHING! Yoga, butt & thighs, arms, cardio, etc. Try it out with your roommates but beware, your whole body will hurt the next day.

8. Pretending to be “gluten-free”.  I convinced my family and friends I was allergic to gluten for about 6 months, and lost 8 pounds from it. Gluten makes you bloated and in reality, it’s really easy to eat things that are sans gluten.

9. Coffee. Coffee is the wind beneath my wings. It gives me life, tastes delicious and suppresses my appetite. Drop the everything bagel toasted with cream cheese and instead, have an iced latte with almond milk (a banana, too). You’re body will thank you.

10. Sex. So apparently you burn a ton of calories during sex, which is a great excuse to do it more often. Does anyone know how I can accurately input this in MyFitnessPal?