How ‘reputation’ Says Everything We’re Already Thinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Let’s be honest. As a collective, women are sick and tired of putting up with BS from all sides. Whether it’s politicians trying to take away our rights, powerful men using their position to exploit us, or just general cat-and-mouse games guys tend to play, 2017 has been eye-opening. When it comes to conversations about gender roles and the status quo of relationships between people, we have come to a point where the door is wide open, and it’s never going to be shut again. 

With that in mind, it can be hard to flesh out all of the feelings of injustice we face each and everyday as young women. We’re trying to hustle to make something of ourselves while still being the “cool girl,” but also going up against a ticking clock and fielding questions about our love lives at every turn. Thankfully, we have a certain Taylor Swift on our side to help us navigate this crazy time by putting our feelings into words time and time again. 

With the release of her highly-anticipated album, reputation, Swift gave us something we never could have seen coming ten years ago when she first set out. Gone is the pining, ‘Teardrops On My Guitar’ Taylor. What we’re seeing now from her is a mirror of what we are all seeing in ourselves–control. Swift has taken the reigns, and is making all of the moves. She has learned from her experiences, and now is fully in control of her own narrative. 

By watching Taylor grow and command her own story, we are able to do the same. She’s pushing the boundaries, challenging what it means to be a ‘good’ girl, and demanding of all of us that we do the same. For anyone who hasn’t heard the album yet (AKA is waiting until it’s on streaming), I’ve rounded up a few of the most powerful lyrics from ‘reputation,’ and will let you see for yourself what the ‘new’ Taylor is capable of. 

On determining the relationship and deserving commitment: “But I ain’t tryina play, I wanna be your end game.” End Game 

On flipping the script: “I let them think they saved me / they never see it coming, what I do next / this is how the world works / you gotta leave before you get left.” I Did Something Bad 

On giving too much to people who don’t deserve it: “This is why we can’t have nice things, darling (darling) / Because you break them / I had to take them away.” This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things 

On maintaining independence in a new relationship: “I’m perfectly fine, I live on my own / I made up my mind, I’m better off being alone / We met a few weeks ago / Now you try calling’ me baby, like trying on clothes” King of My Heart 

Have you listened yet? Let us know what you think on social! 

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.