HC Fordham Abroad: Food Glorious Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

I love to eat.  I mean who doesn’t? But, I love to really eat, like more than three meals in a day, always a dessert, new foods, etc.  So, naturally being in Europe is a dream come true, and I eat all the time.

Irish people are not necessarily known for their food, but yet I have found some excellent options, and when travelling, I pretty much just eat my way through each foreign city.

Some food options that I wish was more prevalent in the U.S. include:

1.     Scones, in every flavor. Blueberry, apple, chocolate, raisin, raspberry, the list could go on.  Ireland is actually rather talented at scones, they are usually so soft and fresh that the bread literally melts in your mouth, it is delicious.
2.     Crepes. When I visited friends in Paris, I could have eaten a crepe for every meal. My favorite savory crepe (which I actually have only had in Ireland) is egg and bacon, my  favorite sweet crepe (which I taste tested all across Paris) is nutella and banana.
3.     Tea. I know that in America some people do drink tea a lot, but it is rare compared to Europe, especially the UK and Ireland. My roommates have tea with almost every meal and as an evening snack with biscuits.
4.     Biscuits. In America biscuits are bread like muffin pastries, here they are cookies that are often referred to as digestives.  These are not just plain tea crackers, but they come in flavors! Plain, oat, whole grain, chocolate covered, dark chocolate covered, caramel, caramel chocolate, etc.
5.     Chocolate. American chocolate will never live up the standards of European chocolate. I don’t know what the difference is in ingredients, but the result is drastic. European chocolate is smoother and melts in your mouth. 

My favorite chocolates include Butler’s (an Irish brand that has the best hot chocolate), Kinder bars (Italian chocolate with hazelnut in between), Aero (by Nestle, it has air bubbles in the bars so the chocolate is very light) and Cadbury chocolate (I know this is at home too, but here it tastes better and sold more frequently).

I could keep rambling, but basically the food here is amazing! I’m sure right now my friends reading this are jokingly asking “Freshman fifteen, two years later?” And well possibly, but it is definitely worth all the great food! And I still find time to exercise in between eating!

This past week I went to Scotland, a friend from home visited for the entire week and two Fordham friends visited for the weekend! My family arrives this week for a week long Thanksgiving vacation!! I cannot wait!

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.