This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Going abroad is a once in a lifetime experience, but getting ready to go can be a daunting task. Per usual, the ladies of Stars Hollow know exactly how we felt when getting ready to trade Fordham for our new home across the Atlantic. 

1. When you get accepted to the program of your dreams

2. Telling your friends about it (and/or posting the “officially studying abroad!” status on Facebook) 

3. Booking your flight, and seeing how much this is really going to cost you. 

4. Finally, the week arrives. You take out your suitcase (or two) and try to pack your whole life in under 50 pounds. 

5. On the day of your departure, you head to the airport and have to say goodbye to your family at security. 

6. Once that emotional rollercoaster is over, you are ready to board. 

7. On your overnight flight, you abandon all sense of time and wake up in a new city and feeling excited, but mostly jet-lagged. 

8. As you get settled, you try to see all of the sights—clocking some 10-mile Fitbit days along the way. 

9. At orientation, everyone is talking about all of the ~amazing~ trips they’ve planned already and you’re just like…

10. Once the jet-lag wears off, you are feeling good and excited for the incredible semester ahead of you. 

*All gifs from giphy.com 

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.