Fordham’s Funny Girl: Niara Walden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Niara Walden is brand new to the Fordham scene. Transferring from Pace University this semester, she has immediately taken center stage here on campus. From getting a spot in Fordham’s Improv Troupe, to taking a theater class in Manhattan and volunteering at Rodrigue’s Coffee House, she is taking advantage of all that Fordham has to offer. Fantastically witty and down to earth, you will often see her making jokes around campus with a coffee from Rodrigue’s or Starbucks in hand, but we promise she is anything but basic! 

Where are you from? Stafford, VA. 

What year are you? I’m a Sophomore 

What is your major? Political Science and a theater minor 

How did you decide to come to Fordham? I really wanted to be in New York City but I didn’t want to give up having a campus and the community that comes with it. Fordham offers the best of both worlds! 

What activities are you involved in? I’m part of Stranded in Pittsburgh, Fordham’s Improv Troupe, Women’s Empowerment, and I work at Rodrigue’s.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Having a planner really helped me because I could see what I needed to do and that made it easier to budget my time. Also, just being honest with my limits and not being afraid to adjust accordingly.

Dream job? Stage actress!

What’s on your NYC bucket list? I want to stage door at more shows and go on a walking tour of the street art in Brooklyn.

What is on your Fordham bucket list? Participating in one of the competitions at Ram Town! 

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? My theater class at Lincoln Center!

Most embarrassing moment at Fordham so far? I was waiting for my friend outside of her class and I was making weird faces at her and someone else saw me and thought it was directed at them.

Funniest moment at Fordham so far? I was heading to campus and I passed one of the apartments where a ton of students live and there was someone on the balcony playing music. And he started dancing so we just had a quick impromptu dance party on Hoffman! 

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? The steps of Keating

Favorite Quote? “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you?  I trained in fencing for a while! 

Pick one! 

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botanical Gardens! 

Arthur Ave or Fordham Road? Arthur Ave

Cafeteria or Grille? Grille

RamVan or Subway? RamVan

Met or MoMA? Met

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel! 

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Off-Broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Madison Square Garden

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park