Fordham Shoe-niversity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

In the northeast, weather is like Miley – it can’t be tamed. The beautiful state of New York seems to be having a meteorological hormonal imbalance. So far this year, there’s been an earthquake, a hurricane, several ark-like freak rainstorms, various thunderstorms and bipolar temperature fluctuations. If you dare to dream about the coming months, then you can look forward to bitter cold snaps, snowstorms, rain, hail and then the muddy defrosting of springtime.

Besides the weather, Fordham girls have a veritable hailstorm of activity going on in their personal lives. Trying to juggle internships, classes, social life and extracurriculars is almost as difficult as trying to organize our wardrobes when we’re faced with this crazy weather.

What’s a collegiette™ to do?

Never fear, Ramettes. Lucky for us, we have a secret weapon to combat the weather with a combined sense of Girl Scout-level preparedness and Carrie Bradshaw-like fabulousness. Say it with me:

Shoes.

Here are a few recommended pairs of shoes that every Fordham collegiette™ should invest in.  

1. Rain Boots: If this week didn’t clarify the necessity for a great pair of wellies, than nothing will. Any collegiette™ who has had their shoes ruined by a surprise deluge can sing the praises of these rubber soldiers. Hunter boots are the gold standard of rain boots, but let’s face it – not every collegiette™ can afford the $125 boots. Luckily for us Rams, rain boots are a dime a dozen on Fordham Road. You can even find pairs for as cheap as $10. That’s a small price to pay in exchange for the ability to jump in any threatening campus puddle!

2. TOMS
: If you feel the rush of glee when you purchase a new pair of shoes, prepare to feel that rush double. TOMS give you the opportunity to give back by simply buying a pair of shoes. For every pair you purchase, another pair is sent to a child in a developing country. Finally, someone has married the emotional benefits of a selfless act with the selfish drive to shop- and the shoes are cute too. Start looking around campus and you’ll spot them all over, especially since founder Blake Mycoskie has visited Fordham. Ringing in at $44 for a classic pair, these might put a strain on a collegiette™ wallet. But, as a Jesuit educated student – and therefore a man or woman for others – you can think about it as $22 for your shoes and $22 for someone else. And a bonus – they come in men’s styles too, so you could match that Campus Cutie you’ve had your eye on all this time.

3. Fold-up flats:
Between internships and long nights out, collegiette™ feet can take a serious beating. It’s absolutely essential that you save your soles from excessive stiletto punishment. Throw a pair of the Gap’s fold-up flats in your bag before you leave to go anywhere. The flats are classic and comfortable- yet they fold up like a Swiss-Army knife. Gap knows its customers too- these shoes are named the “City Girl Flats.” So though we’d love to pretend we can trollop around the city in our heels for hours on end, we all know that we’ve walked barefoot on some Manhattan (or Bronx) concrete in our lives. Avoid the tetanus and grab a pair of these urban essentials for $39.95.

4. Equestrian boots: If there is one thing I could absolutely not live without in my wardrobe, equestrian boots are it. In fact, any kind of leather boot could really work here. Once the cold weather starts, other shoes rarely make an appearence in my wardrobe. You can hide several layers of embarrassingly fluffy socks underneath boots, which makes them a great weapon for competing against the cold weather. Again, this is where Fordham collegiettes™ are lucky – Fordham Road is so great for your leather boot needs. I have bought a pair of boots from Dr. Jay’s for Ladies almost every year I’ve attended Fordham University. They range in price from $20 to $50, but all Fordham students get a 15% discount!

So there you have it, collegiettes™. The key to staying prepared at Fordham- regardless of activity or weather- is all in your shoes. If you can think of other shoes that are essential to your Fordham wardrobe, leave a comment in the box below!  

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.