Dear Betty: How Do I Balance My Relationship and Friendships?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Dear Betty,

Over the summer, I started dating this great Fordham guy. (I know, I know, but they’re out there, promise!) Even though we were both interning, summer hours left us plenty of time to hang out and build our relationship. Now that school’s started, I’m completely OVERWHELMED. I’m interning, have a full course load, and am super involved on campus. Basically, I spread myself to thin. I haven’t even gotten a chance to hang out with most of my friends! I still want to devote time to my relationship, but I don’t know how to balance it all. What do I do, Betty?

Sincerely, Worried in Walsh

——————————————-

Dear Worried,

It is important to note that having a 
boyfriend should not take away time with your friends.  If so, it can lead to many problems with your friends, since well they knew you before you were going out with your boyfriend/girlfriend.  To fix that problem, try and figure out a schedule in which you become aware of all the free time that you might have.  Since you will most likely not be as busy over the weekend, try to schedule time with your boyfriend/girlfriend then, especially during the day.  Try and see if you can spend one night a weekend with your friends, maybe even your boyfriend/girlfriend could hang out with you then as well.  As for your homework problem, during the week try and schedule time to see your boyfriend/girlfriend around meals.  It is something that you both have to do during the day so you can maximize your time that way.  Hope that helps!

Love,
Betty

Have a question for Betty? Fill out the form below and she might answer your question in her next article!

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.