Dance Team Captain Alex Lutz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

We are… Fordham.  We may chant it, but who’s leading those chants at football and basketball games? The spirit groups on campus: the cheerleaders, the Fordham fanatics, and the dance team.  Campus celeb Alex Lutz has been the driving force of the dance team since its revival in 2010.  Alex takes on the role of coach, captain and choreographer.  If Alex isn’t performing on the court, she’s behind the scenes helping the marketing department.  If you catch her in a rare moment of her down time, she’s probably hanging out with her friends or binging on Netflix.  Alex has taken her sunny SoCal disposition and has lit up the Bronx. 

Where are you from? San Diego, California

What year are you? Senior

What is your major?  Communication and Media Studies

What activities are you involved in?  Fordham Dance Team Captain, Fordham Career Ambassador, and I am a Fordham Athletics Marketing Intern

Talk about Dance Team, what have you guys done over the past semester: We started in the summer attending UDA camp in Connecticut with schools from the surrounding area. We have performed at football halftimes with cheer, including Homecoming, which was super fun. Also for Homecoming, we cheered in the tent on Eddies. During basketball season we are at all the home men’s and women’s games cheering on the Rams and performing at media timeouts and halftime. We also participated in Ram Town and traveled to MSG to perform at the Holiday Classic in December. Lastly, we walked in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in Central Park with other Fordham Athletes.

Do you have a favorite moment from your years on the court? Performing at MSG and the Izod Center.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? I decided to come to Fordham because I wanted to experience school/life in New York City and I loved the campus.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Write things down! A calendar and post-its are your best friend, you can’t remember everything! Sleep, whenever you can. Exercise, it sucks but you feel like the king/queen of the world after (and its good for the brain). 

What’s your favorite thing about New York? The people! What’s more fun than people watching? And there is always something to do!

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? I love exploring NYC, so I don’t think I have a favorite. However, one time I took the tram from the East side to Roosevelt Island. Roosevelt Island lies in between Manhattan and Queens. The tram takes you over the water and it’s a really great view.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? I’ve seen most of the tourist attractions but I still haven’t been to all the boroughs.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? I don’t think I have a favorite, but performing in the Tent and during the game at Homecoming was pretty great.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Public Relations

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Understanding Historical Change

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? Eddies in the spring.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Moms give really good advice. (Which might include “Tribar does not solve all problems.” Spend a day in the city on the weekends. You will feel much more accomplished and less hungover).

What’s your dream job? NFL Events Coordinator

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? There are so many courses offered/required it gives you an opportunity to explore subjects you might not otherwise consider.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Margot Hardenbergh – Communications

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? I have incredible eating habits. One time I ate chocolate chip pancakes at Pete’s and then went straight to Best Deli and had a California burger. It’s a gift.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botanical Gardens – The Orchid Show!

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Arthur Ave.

Cafeteria or Grille? “Starbucks”

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Nine West Outlet

RamVan or Subway? What time of day?

Met or MoMA? Met

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel with lots of cream cheese

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Both

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Both

A senior in FCRH, Stephanie is a double major in Political Science and American Studies. She is from Eastchester NY, which is about 20 minutes away from Fordham. She is involved in the Fordham Dance Team, is a Secretary of the Residence Hall Association board, New Student Orientation, and various other clubs.