Dan Light: Honest, Hardworking, Resilient

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If you’re even slightly aware of anything going on at Fordham you know who this guy is. But not because he’s arrogant or goes around boasting about his successes, quite the opposite actually. This guy is honest and humble and all those who know him consider it a privilege to have met him. He is hardworking and determined and has a resiliency that not many can say they have. Just last week The New York Daily News wrote an article about him, and now Her Campus has the inside scoop on his experience as a Ram. Fordham Football tight end, captain, and mentor; he’s the one and only Dan Light

Where are you from and where did you go to high school? I’m from Sutton, Massachusetts and I went to St. John’s High School in Shrewsbury.

What year are you? Senior.

What is your major? Business Administration with a concentration in Entrepreneurship.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? Fordham followed me from my junior year on for football. They were the first school to offer me a full scholarship and an official visit. I really liked the recruiting coach Greg Crum, I liked the campus, and I really liked how they treated me and my family throughout the entire process.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? My favorite Fordham memory would have to be this year against Bucknell and Georgetown when we cinched the outright Patriot League Championship title.  

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Probably New Media with Professor Carey. He applies real life examples and his class is much more based on the working world than on a textbook.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham?  Definitely information Systems 1 and 2.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? I’ve honestly had a lot of good professors so it’s a really tough decision. It would probably have to be between Professor Carey and Father Denniston.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? The best part of a Jesuit education is the values and the things they instill in you. They really teach you to stick to values and what you believe in through good and bad.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? My favorite spot has to be the water fountain by the Ram [statue]. It’s just a really peaceful setting. I forget I’m in the city sometimes.

What activities are you involved in? Football of course. And through football I’ve been involved with programs like Uplifting Athletes and helping with hurricane Sandy recovery.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Make sure that you attack everything with a good attitude. Have strong will and strong drive and you will get through it. Always stick to who you are through the good and the bad.

Who do you think was your toughest opponent on the football schedule and why? Villanova. Just because they’re the standard of the type of team we’re working toward. They have immense attention to detail. They really set a high standard and they know what it takes to win.

What are your predictions for the 2014 Rams in the playoffs? National Championship obviously. That’s the expectation. It’s what we set out to do at the beginning of the season. Like Coach Moorhead tells us all the time: we’re not going to feel the pressure, we’re going to apply the pressure.

What’s your favorite thing about playing football? It’s correlations to life. The accountability that you learn and the attention to detail manifested on the field that translates elsewhere. The comradery and trust in your teammates is huge. We look up to each other because we are going through the same things. Football is also good therapy for issues off the field and personal life. It’s a good way to clear your head and think of something different.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? How much of a home-body I am. I’m really a momma’s boy, a family guy. I’m not as tough as people think I am.

What’s one thing that someone who is not on your team wouldn’t know about you? How approachable I am. I take pride in being a good mentor for younger guys, in being someone anyone could feel free to talk to. Sometimes people misconstrue me as hard-nosed and not easily approachable. But I guess I was voted captain for a reason and a lot of guys look up to the way I play and how accountable I am. People can come to me with any issues and I’ll do the best that I can to help them and go about things the right way.  

Who are you the closest with on the team? This is a really tough question. I’m truly close with all of the guys on the team for the most part. I’m friends with everybody. I’ve known the senior class longer. Adam Malkiewicz is definitely one of the guys I’m closest to. I’m also close with the freshman class because of pride in being a mentor for them. Chase [Edmonds, #22] I look up to and he looks up to me. It’s a good relationship on both sides.

How does it feel to be getting so many scout looks? It’s a blessing, it really is. It’s truly a blessing. It’s a mixture of emotions in a lot of ways. Something you always dream of but always have that doubt that you can actually get there. Surreal in a way, but an exciting experience. Lots of emotions. It’s an awesome feeling to know people at that level will consider you and it just makes you want to work harder.

What’s your favorite thing about New York?  It’s a change of pace form me since I’m from a small town; definitely a faster pace. I get to see a different side of things and get a whole new experience.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? Something as simple as going out on Arthur Ave with my family after a game. I like the simple things. My family comes to every game. They’re a great support system.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? I’d like to check out some of the nightlife since I never had the chance to. I want to do the big touristy things that football has kind of hindered me from being able to do like going to the top of the Empire State Building and visiting the Statue of Liberty.

What’s your dream job? NFL football player. Being paid to play a game I love and take care of my family that way. The New England Patriots are my favorite team.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Don’t be afraid to be uncomfortable. Sometimes being uncomfortable for a short period of time will lead to something really great in the long run. People want to be comfortable so much that they never really reach their full potential.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Bronx Zoo

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Arthur Ave

Cafeteria or Grille? Grille

Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Dr. Jays

RamVan or Subway? Subway

Met or MoMA?  Haven’t been. Add it to my NYC bucket list.

Hot Dog or Bagel? Hot dog

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? MSG

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park

Is there anything else that you would like to say to your fellow Rams?

Stay humble. Stay hungry.

Photo courtesy of Fordham Football, Fordhamsports.com

My name is Denisse Garcia and I am a 21-year-old senior at Fordham University. I'm taking on a major in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and secondary concentration in Communications & Media Management. I am a HUGE sports fanatic and love nothing more than the hype of game day. My greatest aspiration in life is to be the CEO or CMO of a major Fortune 500 company or a sports organization :)