Carson Wong, GSB ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Name: Carson Wong

Hometown: Burlington, CA (South of San Francisco)

School and Year: Gabelli 2017

Major: Information Systems

How long have you been making videos? I have been making videos for almost a year. It all started because I began watching Casey Neistat vlogs and all summer I was inspired to make videos. December 1st is when it really took off though, because I filmed myself opening my chocolate Advent calendar every day. Because I forced myself to do film on a daily basis, I was also forced to explore new ideas and new ways to make video content.

What do you use to film? I use a Canon T5i, an 18-55 STM lens, and a 24-70 USM lens. I also use a GoPro hero 3+ silver, an iPhone 6s, and a DJI Phantom 4 (drone). I edit everything on Final Cut Pro X. 

Describe the first video you made. My friend Nick Martucci was going off to London to study abroad and I just wanted to make something really funny. It was something I could do for one of my best friends that I wasn’t gonna see for a couple of months; I wanted to give him a good send off. I was also trying to explore this hobby because it was something I was already interested in. For a long time I didn’t have a purpose to make a video, so making this was my first step into videography.

What’s your favorite video you have ever made? Definitely going to San Francisco and meeting my siblings for lunch. After going abroad and filming so many amazing cities, it made me miss the city that I am from and I was happy to get a chance to finally film it. My second favorite is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD3-Rnbhdzs

What’s your process for deciding what to film and what to include in your videos? The way I film my videos is very casual, so I kind of just film everything and then I trim it down. Even the most simple stuff like opening a door or walking gives context to how my day/week begins. The worst part is going back and looking at footage and seeing that there’s not really a timeline or context. I’m still learning how I should be filming and what I should be filming. I didn’t really learn how to make my abroad videos until months after I filmed them. It became easier for me to learn what to film after I started making my minute long Instagram videos abroad. The Instagram videos I made at home have a lot more continuity to them because I actually figured out what I needed to film. I also really like incorporating pop culture into my videos, so I try to integrate it when I can. 

What is your favorite part about filming? Being able to capture emotion, but mainly capturing when people are happy. What I love about the process is being able to make something so raw into something that I created.

Do you plan to keep making videos after you graduate? I plan on getting a job first, but want to continue creating videos as a hobby.

What is your favorite Fordham memory? I don’t have a specific favorite memory, but it’s more the fact that I met all these people. 

Favorite place to eat off campus: My house because I love cooking.

What is your favorite thing to do in the city? Explore.

If you could relive one moment from your time at Fordham, what would it be? Going abroad and traveling. 

As a senior, do you have any advice for Fordham freshmen? Don’t be afraid to meet people.

Don’t forget to follow Carson on all of his social media accounts in order to see his great videos!! 

Instragram: c8wong

YouTube: Carson Wong (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRZzvAYdHq0SKXchgs5GwWQ

Facebook: Carson Wong 

Natalie is a Fordham University junior from Connecticut majoring in Communications and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing. New York City is her favorite place in the world, and one day she hopes to be working as a journalist or Public Relations agent there. In her free time, she loves eating quesadillas, dancing to the Backstreet Boys, and fangirling over Jennifer Lawrence.