Andrea Diano is Fashion Forward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned while going to school in New York City, it’s that fashion (and love) is it! Campus Celebrity Andrea Diano already knew that well before she became a Ram. In fact, from class to extracurriculars, Andrea is all about ruling the runway and rocking the hottest trends. Naturally, her Fordham experience has been fun-filled and fashion forward. For more about Andrea and the opportunities she has come across as a Ram, continue reading below!

Where are you from? West Orange, New Jersey! 

What year are you? I’m an anxious, frightened, but excited senior!

What is your major? Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and a Minor in Visual Arts

What activities are you involved in? On campus, I am President of Fashion for Philanthropy, Creative Director of Mode Magazine, and Team Manager of the Fordham University Rent the Runway team! I am also the Retail Intern at Tory Burch. I wear plenty of hats, all of them fashionable, of course.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of living in New York City. I didn’t live too far from NYC, but something about this city always took my breath away. My mom did research and suggested I visit Fordham University (she actually took her nursing exam at Fordham LC some 20+ years ago), and I instantly fell in love. On my visit, Fordham looked so beautiful, everyone looked so happy, and this school came with the best of both worlds: a gorgeous, gated campus community and access to the greatest city!

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Always think ahead! I can drive myself crazy with the amount of things on my to do list, but I’ve found it helpful to keep a calendar and an agenda book of everything that requires my attention. I try to plan my schedule sometimes 2-3 weeks in advance so I always have an idea of my workload. However, be sure to include time for relaxation, the gym, a hobby, or spontaneous adventures with friends—those will keep you sane!

What’s your favorite thing about New York? I love how diverse and eclectic the city is. I love hearing new languages on the street mixed in with familiar ones. I love the variety of food and drink available on just one avenue and the range of entertainment options available. Everything about this city is so alluring and magical in its own sense. Even after my 4 years working and studying here, I’ll be walking down an avenue and still find myself captivated by everything around me.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? Just this past summer, my brother and I rented Citi bikes for the day and rode them along the Hudson all the way from the Upper West Side down to the Financial District. It was such a fun experience and great exercise!

What’s on your NYC bucket list? Eat at all of the restaurants recommend by Anthony Bourdain, visit the Statue of Liberty and the new World Trade Center, and sing karaoke in Korea Town! Oh–and get my hair done at DryBar.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? I will always remember my first fashion show for Fashion for Philanthropy! It was my freshman year, and our show’s theme was “Fordham is My School, New York is My Runway.” I remember my adrenaline rushing as I watched everything we worked for all come together.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? I loved my Integrated Marketing Communications class with Linda Luca! In that class, we worked in groups to develop a creative communications strategy for Target’s new Threshold brand. My team was such a pleasure to work with and we ended up winning the competition and a $2,000 prize!

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? Eddie’s, of course!

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Take advantage of EVERY opportunity. You won’t regret it.

What’s your dream job? I would love to work E-Commerce or brand development for a major designer!

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Luke Kachersky! I had him for Marketing Research and Psychology of Pricing. He’s such a great professor and I highly recommend taking any of his classes.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? I am probably the most atypical “fashionista” there is. I spend more time browsing Imgur.com than I do looking at Vogue’s runway highlights, and I tend to watch way more Adventure Time on Cartoon Network than Fashion Police.

What will you miss most about Fashion For Philanthropy? I’ll truly miss being a part of something so much bigger than myself. Fashion for Philanthropy has helped me get to where I am today thanks to the amazing people I’ve met and the incredible opportunities I have been presented. I will miss helping members of the club network with peers and alumni, find internships, and improve their resumes and communication skills. I’ll miss giving back to my community. I owe so much to this club, and I hope some of the members found the club beneficial in some way whether it be finding an internship, doing something they’ve never done before, or even just meeting someone new!

Is there anything that you would like to see the club accomplish in the future? I hope to see it grow stronger and stronger every year, break fundraiser goals for The Make-A-Wish Foundation, and for members to succeed and learn from one another.

Do you have a favorite designer or style icon? My favorite style icon is Aimee Song from Song of Style! She has the best wardrobe. My favorite designer is BCBG MAX AZRIA. BCBG always delivers designs that mix feminine and edgy which is what I’m all about!

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Bronx Zoo! The giraffes are my favorite, and the big cats, of course.

Arthur Ave or Fordham Road? Arthur Ave, without a doubt, but there are still so many places I have to try there.

Cafeteria or Grille? I don’t have a meal plan anymore but I miss the Caf!

RamVan or Subway? The subway! I like things to be fast and efficient. Plus the idea of sitting in traffic gives me agita.

Met or MoMA? The Met always has AMAZING exhibitions!

Hot Dog or Bagel? I’ll always be a Jersey girl, so I have to say bagels! Shout out to the Bagel Box in my hometown! Best. Sandwiches and Bagels. Ever.

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway! I used to do theater in high school so I’m obsessed with broadway shows. My favorite show, so far, is Mamma Mia! (Because I grew up with ABBA tunes!)

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Madison Square Garden! Go big or go home!

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park! Who wants to go on a picnic?

Heels or Flats? I’m a sucker of a great pair of heels.

Marc Jacobs or Kate Spade? Kate Spade always has the most fun and colorful collections!

Taking the lead or cheering on the sideline? I have to take the lead! I would hate to miss out on the fun by standing on the sideline. Plus, I can be a total control freak–I admit it. 

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.