Up and Coming at FU: The Rival Live

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As Fordham students, you’ve definitely heard about The Rival, an opinion commentary and satirical publication comprised of unique and one of a kind campus knowledge. The Rival at Fordham University aims to “entertain and educate the student body, generate a campus-wide dialogue, and inspire creative thinking.” With clever articles that always spark the interest of the Fordham community, the team at The Rival have changed the game of college publications. 

The Rival not only has the attention of the student body because of its authentic way of writing and cutting edge content that targets the college student demographic, but the team has also been stepping up their presence on campus by inventing a brand new portion of their online publication: Fordham Live.

Managing Editor, Jessica Mannino told us, “The Rival Live is first and foremost an extension of our brand. My partner and I started The Rival last year with the intention of establishing a longstanding platform- one that would endure post-graduation. This fall, I caught wind that people on campus were looking to start a TV news program, so I capitalized on the opportunity to pitch my idea for a satirical, late night show. Secondly, and definitely most importantly, I wanted to bring The Rival Live to Fordham because there is nothing I love more than watching people getting excited to create. Both platforms of The Rival have brought together a community of over 60 creative minds and I couldn’t be more grateful to have provided the outlet!”

An interesting backstory to the new television show on campus is the fall of Fordham Nightly News (FNN). The daily newscast that ran four days a week out of the Fordham library had managerial issues and the program was ultimately directed to the Communications & Media department for guidance. While there is an alternative program in the works to replace FNN, The Rival Live is acting as a saving grace to fill the void that is Fordham centric television entertainment for Fordham students. The first episode will be posted on Vimeo on February 14th, 2017 and can be found on The Rival Facebook page

Make sure to keep an eye on their social media for any updates on Fordham Live as well as any witty promotions of their content. Following the The Rival is a follow you won’t regret.

Lauren is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a degree in Journalism and Political Science. With a career goal of being a broadcast journalist, she is spending time interning at networks such as NBC and FOX. Hobbies include writing for Her Campus and singing in Fordham's all-female a cappella group, the Satin Dolls, as well as drinking too much coffee, listening to far too many boy bands, and watching Buzzfeed Tasty videos one after another.