8 Reasons To Start Watching The Bachelor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

1. BEN

Bachelor Nation was devastated when heartthrob Ben Higgins was sent home by Kaitlyn Bristowe on the last season of The Bachelorette.  Fans fell hard for the 26-year-old’s charismatic charm and were heartbroken when he claimed he was “unlovable.”  However, there is nothing not to love about the down-to-earth, sensitive and successful software salesman.  And let’s be honest, he’s one of the best looking bachelors in the history of the show!  His handsome appearance and athletic 6’4’’ build easily makes the ladies swoon.  But he’s more than what meets the eyes – Ben is a passionate world traveler who loves exploring new places and being outdoors.  His intelligence and knowledge of different cultures will be sure to spark stimulating conversation and there will never be a dull moment with him.  

Ben has high hopes of finding his soul mate on Season 20 of The Bachelor and his exciting quest for true love will definitely be worth watching!

2. It’s an escape into a fantasy world

The Bachelor allows its audience to tune into a fantasy world and forget about everything else in their lives for two hours.  This kind of mindless outlet helps keep us sane.  We all can use an escape from our own lives sometimes and The Bachelor provides the perfect distraction. Personal stresses are long forgotten through the highly dramatized scenes and fantasy first dates that would never actually happen in real life, or would they?

3. It’s romantic

Between the intimate one-on-one dates, island getaways and epic adventures that occur on the show, it is hard not to get swept away by the romantic intensity.  Dates on The Bachelor are what every girl dreams of: world city tours, tropical excursions, candlelit dinners under the stars, and private concerts by famous artists.  Similar to reading a good Nicholas Sparks book, women love getting caught up in the romance.  It may be #basic but it’s the closest thing there is to magic (I know, I know, a bit cliché).  Pretty soon you’ll be wishing you were on the show experiencing all the passion and romance!

4. It’s an emotional rollercoaster

Producers of The Bachelor really know how to capture the right moments in a way that will make you feel sympathy for the contestants.  Whether it is a soliloquy about someone’s tragic past or their life as a single parent, there is constant heartache.  The Bachelor is full of tearjerker moments and will constantly tug at your heartstrings.  The anguish of rejection and heartbreak is relatable to everyone, and viewers will find themselves riding along the emotional rollercoaster throughout the whole season.

5. Oh, the drama!

And by drama, I mean drama.  With over twenty girls in heated competition, there’s bound to be cattiness and jealousy as they fight to win the bachelor’s heart.  The Bachelor is full of catfights galore.  Some women will even go out of their way to stir up trouble by making up rumors about other girls.  Dishonesty and betrayal will result and the drama will be never-ending.  What’s a season of The Bachelor without all the backstabbing, fighting and tears? 

6. That one girl who is “50 shades of crazy”

There is always one crazy girl on every season of The Bachelor.  On this upcoming season, Lace is the girl who will keep you yelling at the TV all season long.  She has already made an unforgettable impression by being the first one to kiss Ben immediately after stepping out of the limo.  After having a bit too many glasses of champagne, she asked for another smooch later that night.  Already nicknamed “50 shades of crazy,” this is the girl that will make this season of The Bachelor a must-watch.  And let’s be honest, everyone loves a good train wreck.   

7. It makes us appreciate real-life dating

Although dating on The Bachelor may appear glamorous with all of the fancy dates in exotic places, it is a fantasy world far from reality.  Yes, it would be a dream come true to have a romantic dinner on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, but this would never happen on your third date in real life (sorry girls).  However, would you rather have one guy all to yourself or have to share him with multiple women?  Most people would not want to be seen competing with 20 other people in front of millions of viewers to win over one person’s love and approval.  It is humiliating and mortifying to say the least.  I mean, who would want to be on a group date?!?  Watching The Bachelor will make you appreciate the simple life of dating one guy at a time and not having to worry about him kissing other women after just planting one on you! 

8. Sometimes it ends with a happily ever after

Despite all of the hearts broken and tears shed throughout the show, an ending with a happily ever after makes the wild journey all worth it.  Sometimes couples on The Bachelor do not always stay together after the show, but sometimes they do.  As audience members, we root for the couple and hope that they share a happy future together.  We hold on to this hope because a happily ever after is what everyone wants… a fairytale ending and true love that will last a lifetime.

Katherine Falzon (aka Kat) is a senior at Fordham University. Her major is Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in Journalism. A Jersey girl at heart, she spends her summers down the shore and enjoys playing the guitar, running, and writing for pleasure. Katherine hopes to someday make her passion of writing a full-time career. Curious to find out more about Katherine? Follow her on Instagram @kat_falzon