7 Things to Look Forward to After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Everyone always says that college is the best time of your life. Between sleeping in, living with your best friends, going to class for a few hours a day, working out when you please, and having all the freedom in the world, it seems like life couldn’t get any better. All of the responsibilities that come after graduation such as paying the bills, working over forty hours per week, and sitting behind a desk all day make moving into adulthood unappealing and a harsh reality to face.

Although transitioning into full-time adulthood may seem overwhelming, there are also many upsides to life after graduation to look forward to that you weren’t able to experience as a college student. Listed below are some of the best perks that come with post-graduation life:

1. Making money

Instead of grades, you’ll now be working for money. Say goodbye to the days of being a broke college student and hello to financial freedom! For the first time ever you’ll finally be earning a salary, which is far different from the money you made from your internship or part-time job on campus. It’s up to you to decide what you want to spent it on, so choose wisely.

2. Not having to study or do homework

Although an eight-hour workday doesn’t seem like best way to spend your week, the good news is that you no longer have to worry about studying or doing homework in the evening. Having your evenings now free will be a great relief and you can finally have the “me time” you’ve always wanted.

3. Taking up hobbies

Having your downtime after work also allows you to pursue new hobbies and interests. While your nights in college consisted of cramming for exams and catching up on other work, you now have the freedom to do what you want to do. Whether its cooking, painting, trying new gym classes, reading for pleasure, or starting a show on Netflix, now is the time to do something you’ve always wanted to try. By taking up hobbies, you may even discover passions you never knew you had.

4. Meeting new people

You may feel sad to no longer be living with your college friends, but this will eventually subside. After graduation, you’ll realize who your true friends are and who were solely friends of convenience. It’s likely that you will lose touch with people, however, this is normal and something everyone has experienced since high school. Your friend group is constantly changing and you’ll be meeting new people where you work and plan on living. You never know who’s going to cross your path next!

5. Going to other places besides college bars

In college, speaking from my own personal experience, people pretty much went to the same two or three bars. There weren’t too many options. You’re bound to run into the same people, which can be a good thing or a bad thing… After graduation however, there are so many more bars and other places to try, especially if you plan on living in the city. Nothing compares to the city nightlife, and you’ll be able to meet new people all the time. Let the adventures begin!

6. Having independence

Graduating college is stepping into a new world of independence. You are now accountable for the decisions you make regarding career, housing, and finances. While never far from family, friends and good mentoring, it’s an opportunity and responsibility to think carefully and make good choices on important aspects that are going to shape the rest of your life.

7. Discovering your passion

Life after graduation is all about discovering what you love to do and making a career out of it. It may not be your first job, but from experience you’ll learn what you enjoy doing the most. Having passion is the key to happiness and success. If you love what you do and do what you love, you’ll never have to work a day in your life.

So just because college is over, doesn’t mean your life is too. Rather, it’s the beginning of anything you want it to be. Everything we’ve learned in college has prepared us for the future, and it’s up to us to make the most of our lives and follow our dreams.

Katherine Falzon (aka Kat) is a senior at Fordham University. Her major is Communication and Media Studies with a concentration in Journalism. A Jersey girl at heart, she spends her summers down the shore and enjoys playing the guitar, running, and writing for pleasure. Katherine hopes to someday make her passion of writing a full-time career. Curious to find out more about Katherine? Follow her on Instagram @kat_falzon