Style > Beauty

4 Warm Weather Beauty Hacks To Keep Your Summer Routine Fresh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

1. If you’d rather save your summer cash for festival tickets than spend it on new makeup, try using Aloe Vera Gel as a primer, available for just a few bucks online. Just like typical silicone primers, Aloe Vera will give skin added hydration to help foundation last longer, and is great if you’re into natural makeup. Not only does it give complexions a dewy finish, but its cooling sensation feels awesome in the heat! Don’t worry if you have oily skin. Aloe Vera gel won’t make you oilier – it’s actually mostly water.

2. Making a DIY tinted moisturizer for casual days at the beach is easy! Just squeeze some foundation onto your hand and dilute it with moisturizer to create a light coverage base in your perfect shade match. Adjust the amount of moisturizer you add depending on how sheer you want your concoction to be.

3. If you’re anything like me, you avoid jogging outside as much as you can, especially in the warmer months. But if you do like working out in the summer sun, whip up a homemade face and body mist to cool off. Start with one part rosewater, witch hazel (a plant derived clear liquid that soothes skin), or mineral/filtered water if you have extra pocket money. Next, add a drop or two of peppermint and/or eucalyptus oil (their natural menthol acts as a refresher). Finish by adding a few tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel for an extra cooling effect, and shake to combine everything. Tip: peppermint and eucalyptus oils can get really strong, and might irritate your skin if you add too much. Proceed with caution

4. Want a natural summer glow without the sun damage or messy, stinky self tanner? Sweep a light, non orangey satin finish bronzer (or a nude tawny blush) over the parts of your face where you’d tan, like around your hairline or your chin. Next, lightly dust a pale natural pink or rose powder over places and where you’d naturally blush, like the your temples, cheeks, nose and even ears (it won’t look as terrible as you might think, promise). The color combo will you the most natural looking windswept flush.