nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Consider Working In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

While trying to balance a schedule already full of homework assignments and a busy social life, finding a job is probably the last thing you want to do. Having a full-time or even part-time job while in college might seem like it isn’t worth the added stress but it actually pays off (literally and figuratively) in the long run. If you’re still skeptical, here are just some of the benefits that working in college has to offer.

Learning time management. In college, managing your time is essential in order to avoid a stress-induced breakdown. Adding a job to your schedule can seem a little overwhelming, but once you fill out your planner and schedule your time, you start to see that there is a lot of free time. Whether it is between classes or between shifts, you will find time in which you could be studying. College is all about figuring out how to balance life, working forces you to be extra organized and on top of your assignments.

Becoming an early bird. If you decide to work while in college, gone are the days of sleeping in until eleven in the morning, when you would usually wake up for class. Having to wake up early doesn’t have to be a bad thing! Some studies have shown that the brain is most productive during the earlier hours of the day. Whether you wake up an hour early to finish an essay or to have some time for yourself, allowing yourself that time in the morning is important. Before you know it you’ll be used to waking up early, and you’ll be appreciating quiet mornings before the start your day.

Gaining experience. Whether the job you choose to have in college is in your field of study or not it, can still provide a lot of experience. It can prepare you for having a job in the “real world” after you inevitably graduate college. If you choose a job in the field that you are currently majoring in, it could be an eye opener for whether or not that career is truly suited for you.

Learning to say no. Although you are in college to learn, obviously, a large portion of college centers on having a social life. While it might seem impossible to say no to a girl’s night out or lunch with your best friend, eventually you will have to choose studying or going to work instead. Having a job and going to school makes this even more likely. Even though FOMO might hit you hard, it’s important to understand that it’s impossible to do everything.

Building a resume. Once college is over and you start looking for a job, having past places of employment can be just as important as education. Of course, the degree that you earn in college will be a huge accomplishment on its own and will open a variety of doors for you career-wise. However, many jobs want to know that you have some sort of experience working before they hire you. The fact that you were able to balance college and work can be a huge plus in the workplace.

Managing money. This seems like the most obvious perk of working, but it can be difficult at first. You might not be used to having a steady flow of cash and for some it might be easy to go a little crazy when spending. But this is hard earned money, which is even more of a reason for you to set a budget and save as much as possible before you have major bills to pay.

Cover Image: http://static.pexels.com/photos/7354/startup-photos.jpg