This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Coming to college, you normally expect to have an idea at least of what direction you want your life to head in. You got in, you have your major, and it seems like everything is going to fall into place; and then you take a few classes and realize this isn’t what you thought it would be. The truth is, you’re not the only one who has ever felt that way. Many college students after a few classes realize that they hate the content of the course and end up not knowing what to do. Some struggle with wanting to find something new because they aren’t sure how to, and some fear other things like maybe what their parents will say, if they will lose the money they’re spending on the credits being taken, or if they will even find something else that they will be interested in. The problem is that it is normally looked down upon to be stuck and not know where you’re going so most people don’t really try to figure it out and either stay in the major they don’t like or unfortunately drop out because they start to think college isn’t meant for them. If this was the mindset of every person, I’m positive that there would be way less people attending college, and a high percent of very unhappy and unsuccessful people in the world today. The good news is that you can absolutely change your major whenever you’d like, as long as you fall into the criteria that the school of the major you prefer is looking for. The question is, how do you go about finding something you like. For some students, simply going about and taking a few introductory courses to something they find somewhat enjoyable seems to work wonders, while for others it only really damages their situation further. Although you can find a few courses you may like through that method, it’s not a guarantee that you’re going to find something else and fast. Other students find that talking to their counselor really helps because they are able to find out what it is about the major they dislike and maybe come to an agreement on something the student is interested in. Most counselors know about every major on campus because it’s their job to help guide students in the right direction should they ever feel the need to change majors, and so contacting them to ask for help is something recommended. Personally, I find it difficult to even pick classes without consulting my counselor first, and making a decision as big as this is even less possible without the help of one for me. Sometimes, a counselor will recommend you go into the “exploratory” major which pretty much guides you in the direction of finding out more on yourself, then a major you like, and lastly a career path right for you. It’s exactly what it sounds like, and many students have benefited from going this route because they truly get to feel things out without it harming their credits. The biggest thing to understand, is that this is normal, and you aren’t a failure for not knowing what it truly is you’re passionate about. The best things take time, and better for it to take a little longer than to be done quick and hate what you do. The goal is to graduate within 4 years, and it’s possible even with going the exploratory route or switching majors halfway through the 4 years like I did. Things never come easy, and the best things take a little more effort than most. I highly recommend talking to an advisor if you truly feel unhappy or unsure of where you’re heading, so you can figure it out before it ends up being too late. Whether you’re a freshman or a junior in college, it’s never too late to find your passion. As long as you work hard, and seek the right help to guide you, everything will turn out okay in the end. Don’t be scared, go out and grab what you want, and always seize your moment!

source

Nicole is currently a senior at Florida International University studying English. She wants to become a full-time writer for a journalistic blog or company in the future, and hopes to publish a few novels along the way. Her truest of loves include Disney, Anime, music, her dogs, writing, and Harry Potter. She is a lover of makeup, and telling people's stories from their eyes and her experiences. She is currently a Beauty Advisor at Riley Rose part-time, and hopes to continue working alongside them in the future. You can follow her journey on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/nicoli0o/ and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nicoli0o_