This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

“We are the Panthers of FIU, the Golden Panthers of FIU”

Every student that walks on the beautiful campus of Florida International University is a panther that will leave their mark. They may not see it in themselves at first, but there is a group of students that see the potential in them. These student leaders who do not get enough credit are the FIU Peer Advisors and Panther Camp Facilitators. Both teams are a part of the Office of Orientation and Parent Programs and strive to leave their mark on new students. The eight-month training process that both teams go through may be tiring and grueling at times, but is well worth it when they see those smiling faces walk through the Graham Center, ready to take on the journey of Orientation and Panther Camp.

On Monday February 12th, both teams came together to help one another raise money while taking a pie or two to the face. The Peer Advisors attend the Southern Regional Orientation Workshop, also known as SROW. It is a conference that the Peer Advisors attend in order to learn new ideas from other universities to make orientation fun and interactive while still keeping it informational for students and parents. Before the conference, they raise money for the organization “A Gift For Teaching” in order to help provide school supplies for schools in Florida. The event was a success as they were able to raise over $500 dollars in a matter of four hours. This goes to show that no matter what team or organization you are a part of, students can still come together as a community to raise money for a cause that is bigger than themselves. At the end of the day, we stand together to proudly say that our golden panthers go all the way!

This year, I have the opportunity to be a Panther Camp Facilitator and be a part of the office that welcomes all incoming students and their families. The transition into college is exciting but also nerve wracking. Having people like Peer Advisors and Facilitators to make you feel at home at FIU is the best way to find that proud panther in you. These are the people that chant in the halls of GC, wear their FIU gear with pride and bleed blue and gold. This is the program that has taught me that you are stronger when you are together. I have met some extraordinary people that I would have probably never spoken to if it was not for this office. We may wear different polos, but we are two teams that come together in one office.  They also remind you of how much you… R-O-C-K, YOU ROCK, YOU ROCK!

Photography provided by Angela Cabrera