President Trump Endorses Roy Moore Despite Allegations of Sexual Misconduct

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

On Monday, President Donald Trump offered his most controversial endorsement to date during his time in office. In an official statement, the White House said President Trump spoke to Republican Senate candidate Roy S. Moore on the telephone, and offered his endorsement to Moore.

Mr. Moore has been accused by at least six women who claim he pursued relationships with them while they were teenagers and he served as an assistant district attorney in his 30s. One of the accusers states that she was just 14 years old when Moore’s encounter with her turned to a sexual nature. This is despite the age of consent in Alabama at the time, which was 16 years old. Another woman claims that Moore sexually assaulted her when she was 16 years old, but Moore denies all accusations.

Since the allegations began against Moore, members of Congress, politicians, public figures and private citizens at all ranges of the political spectrum have called for him to drop out of the race. President Trump, however, has repeatedly defended him, saying that Moore has denied all accounts and deserves to be heard.

Members of the Trump administration argued that holding on to a Republican seat in the Senate is crucial for advancing the President’s agenda, especially now that the party has a narrow majority. Early Monday morning on Twitter, President Trump described why he chose to support Moore’s campaign: “We need his vote on stopping crime, illegal immigration, Border Wall, Military, Pro-Life, V.A., Judges 2nd Amendment and more.”

Three weeks ago, the Republican National Committee pulled their fundraising and financial support efforts for Moore in light of the sexual misconduct allegations. Following President Trump’s lead, the RNC confirmed that it will continue to provide support for Moore in the race.

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell originally offered outspoken support for the women who accused Moore of sexual assault, saying that he has no reason to not believe their allegations. However, on Sunday McConnell stated that he would let the voters of Alabama decide the fate of the Senate seat. McConnell did say that the Senate Ethics Committee should have an investigation on the allegations brought against Moore if he is ultimately elected.

The allegations against Moore have come at a time where sexual abuse and misconduct are at the forefront of the national media and are finally being addressed by several industries and sectors. The support offered by President Trump, however, has taken us a major step back. Support for Moore, especially by the President, McConnell and other high ranking public officials implies a lack of concern for the systemic sexual misconduct and abuse that has occurred for years by people in power. 

Photo Source: The New York Times

Sources: The New York Times, The Washington Post