Mr. Relay 2015: Joseph Paz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Age– 19

Major– Criminal Justice

Year– Freshman

What involvements off/on campus?

Off campus I work as a lifeguard at Venetian Pool in Coral Gables. On campus I’m a brother of Pi Kappa Phi and Mr. Relay for life.

What are your plans as Mr. Relay?

As Mr. Relay, I plan on making this year’s Relay for Life one of the most successful in FIU history! I also want to create personal relationships with the survivors and anyone still battling cancer because Relay for Life is about showing them that they aren’t alone and that they are not forgotten.  Finally I would like to help the Relay for Life Committee in any way possible.

What has been your favorite FIU memory?

Probably being named Mr. Relay for Life. The suspense before the announcement felt like an eternity. I could feel my whole body cold from being so nervous.  When my name was finally called, there was an immediate rush of emotions and I really don’t remember what followed.

What do you plan to do after you graduate?

My dream is to enter into the Navy as an officer once I get my criminal justice degree. I plan on being the first person in my family to not only get his college degree but also serve this country.

Do you have any advice to share with your fellow collegiate?

Don’t settle for just making it, always push yourself forward and greatness will follow.  You can accomplish way more then you ever would think, you just have to take that chance and work for it.

Gabriela Millan is a Freshman at Florida International University studying Business Administration. She hopes to attend law school in New York City and graduate with a MBA and JD. Although she is still only beginning her collegiate journey, Gabriela believes it is important to be very involved on and off campus. She is an intern for the Student Government Association and a member of a Panhellenic organization.