Kesha’s Powerful Performance at the 2018 Grammy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Kesha gave a powerful performance at Sunday night’s 2018 Grammy Awards, bringing many to tears. Kesha was introduced by singer/actress, Janelle Monae, who gave an equally moving speech on the Time’s up initiative. Moane told the audience, “Tonight I am proud to stand in solidarity as not just an artist, but a young woman with my fellow sisters in this room who make up the music industry.” She made sure to emphasize the importance of the night and monumental moment we are living in by telling the crowd, “We come in peace, but we mean business. And to those who dare try to silence us, we offer you two words. Time’s up.”

Kesha was joined on stage by fellow artists Cyndi Lauper, Camila Cabello, Bebe Rexha, Andra Day, Julia Michaels and the Resistance Revival Chorus to perform her powerhouse of a song, “Praying.” All dressed in white to support the Time’s Up movement to end sexual harassment and abuse, the women gave a moving and emotional performance. The song ended with a teared up Kesha in an embrace with the rest of the women on stage, a powerful image of solidarity and support between women and of the strength within all survivors to continue to fight for their lives.

Kesha’s “Praying” comes off her third studio album, Rainbow, nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album, along with “Praying” being nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance. Her deeply personal song came after her very turbulent legal battle with former producer Dr. Luke, who she accused of on-going sexual and emotional abuse in 2014. Kesha explained what the song and performing it at the Grammy’s meant to her, “When I wrote praying, with Ben Abraham and Ryan Lewis, I just felt as if I had gotten a huge weight off of my shoulders. It felt like an emotional raw victory for myself, one step closer to healing.”

A beautiful performance and a beautiful image of women believing in and standing up for one another, that is the power of music and art. A seismic cultural shift is occurring as we speak, and women are the strong and powerful people at the frontline. Let’s continue to listen to women and believe them when they share their stories. 

Cover Photo: https://www.usmagazine.com