This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

A beauty salon in SÃO PAULO called Jacques Janine Salon, is giving makeup courses a run for their money. Blind women are getting the chance to feel confident and happy about themselves. Jacques Janine Salon is offering FREE makeup courses and teaching these women how to apply it to themselves, using Braille.  Reportedly, nearly 2/3rd of the World’s BLIND population are women. Many of the women that have attended Jacques’ Salon have described the courses as a very unique and freeing experience to be able to do something like this on their own. Jacques’ Salon is stepping into unknown territory and making two different worlds collide.   One of the women in the video that was uploaded spoke about how it’s not just about putting in on to feel pretty. Most people comment on the whole idea as pointless because they can’t see what they look like. Rather, it’s about feeling accomplished that they are able to do this on their own without the help of someone else. Jacques’ Salon is making the seemingly impossible very possible for these women.  The makeup used at the salon is especially designed for blind people. The brushes, pallets, and makeup products have Braille embedded onto them. This helps to differentiate between products and colors for their makeup, down to the description of what type of item they are using! The makeup artists teach the women techniques that they can use to apply everything from eyeliner to fake eyelashes. In turn, these women are able to gain the confidence they have wanted for some time. L’orèal Brazil did something similar in 2016 where they challenged makeup artists and people worldwide to do their makeup in the dark, and after offered lessons for those who were blind to learn how to apply makeup on themselves. They were able to spread awareness for this and continue to provide women with that sense of confidence and security. 

(Photo Credits)

Makeup is not always highly regarded in the world, and many people will always say there’s no need for it. Whether it be because of the society you live in or even the culture you follow or identify with, there’s always that sense that makeup is not the most amazing thing in the world. However, it’s a wonderful way to express yourself creatively, and enhance all the beautiful features you already have. Some women feel much more confident wearing a little bit of mascara while others love rocking the full set of lashes with a smokey eye cut crease.  There’s nothing wrong with either, and it’s nice to be able to see someone put imagination into their work. Many talented makeup artists are beginning to sprout around the world, and influencers have a great opportunity to see things like this and use it to give a powerful message to their audience so they can create a more accepting and peaceful world.  That’s not to say that NO ONE is accepting of makeup, but there is still that stigma that it creates a false sense of beauty.  Watching things like this, really opens your mind to the possibilities that sometimes it doesn’t always have to be skin deep.  Beauty goes as far as feeling it on the inside, and these women gaining confidence to be able to begin doing things on their own again, and do something that most people take for granted and is as simple as makeup, is truly inspiring. It may even lead to makeup companies beginning to open their selection up to include Braille into their own products so they can reach consumers they maybe didn’t even know they had.  The world is full of endless and beautiful opportunities, and you can find the full video for this awesome experience here

Nicole is currently a senior at Florida International University studying English. She wants to become a full-time writer for a journalistic blog or company in the future, and hopes to publish a few novels along the way. Her truest of loves include Disney, Anime, music, her dogs, writing, and Harry Potter. She is a lover of makeup, and telling people's stories from their eyes and her experiences. She is currently a Beauty Advisor at Riley Rose part-time, and hopes to continue working alongside them in the future. You can follow her journey on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/nicoli0o/ and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nicoli0o_