This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, where we exchange our swimsuits for cozy sweaters and toss our fancy lemonades aside for some doctored-up holiday drinks. With the month of October swiftly creeping up on us, what better way to kick off the fall season than with a few horror flicks to get us right into the spirit of Halloween? With the reboot of Stephen King’s famous IT and Darren Arronofsky’s mother! currently sweeping the box office, here are a few more upcoming bone-chilling films that may be worth the nightmares:

1. Flatliners 

This Sci-Fi horror reboot starring Ellen Page, Diego Luna and Nina Dobrev deals with a group of medical students who become a little too curious about the afterlife. After creating an experiment that stops their heart for short periods of time, a “near-death experience” is triggered. The group soon learns the consequences to this experiment once their pasts and the supernatural come together from the other side. see trailer

2. Jigsaw

Set to release on October 27, one of the highest grossing horror franchises of all time has returned with yet more appalling traps and plot twists. This continuation follows an investigation of gruesome murders that seem to all point to the hands of the infamous John Kramer, also known as “Jigsaw”. However, Jigsaw has been dead for over a decade, so who is the mastermind behind it all? see trailer

3. Happy Death Day

Imagine waking up everyday just to relive your murder all over again, unable to escape this fate. That’s what happens to Tree Gelbman (played by Jessica Rothe) in this creative thriller where she continues to relive the day of her horrific murder in order to get closer to discovering who her killer is. For a closer look at this anxiety-inducing flick, check out the trailer

4. Leatherface 

From the infamous series of films known as the “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”, this prequel follows the origins of the Sawyer family and how the notorious killer we all know as “Leatherface”, came to be. The film is set a few years before the events from the famous franchise where we find a teenage Leatherface escaping a mental hospital with a few other inmates. Upon his escape, he kidnaps a young nurse and sets on a violent road trip that sets the tone for his ruthless character. see trailer

5. Gerald’s Game 

What began as a genuine attempt to spice up their marriage quickly turns into something more sinister. Jessie (played by Carla Gugino) soon finds herself handcuffed to her bed as her husband dies unexpectedly. Based on the novel written by Stephen King, this suspenseful thriller takes you through the psychological and horrific stages of survival. see trailer

6. The Crucifixion 

This film follows the story of a priest who performed an exorcism on a nun which led to her death. Although the priest was convicted for her murder, an investigative journalist is determined to find out whether this was truly an act of a murder, or the result of a demonic force so powerful that the priest was not able to fight. see trailer

7. Tragedy Girls 

Two best friends, Sadie and McKayla, are on a mission to become famous crime reporters via social media. However, they need the numbers and following in order to actually become famous. Their solution? Murder people themselves. This comedic horror film takes you on a twisted journey through these high school teens desperate search for social attention, without getting caught. see trailer

Cover Photo: https://www.maxim.com/.image/t_share/MTQ3ODcwNDMyMzMzMTQ1MTkw/happy-deat…