This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Having struggled with both oily/acne prone and dry skin throughout the last eight years of my life, I’ve come to try out a wide array of skincare products that promised to either clear my skin or hydrate the dry portions of my skin. I’ve used Proactiv, Dermatologist-prescribed serums and creams, and half of all skincare products on the shelves of Sephora, Ulta and Walgreens. During the last year, I’ve chosen to really focus on caring for my combination skin, rather than masking it with excess amounts of makeup. I’ve tried out dozens of products that have dried out my skin or caused breakouts, and have finally found several products that have been kind and nourishing to the dry parts of my skin but don’t cause the more oil-prone parts of my face to breakout. 

I’ve compiled a list of splurge-worthy and affordable items from my skincare routine and holy grail products from influencers for everyone who struggles to take care of their combination skin.  

Cleansers

Simple Kind to Skin Cleansing Water Micellar ($4)

This micellar water by Simple Skincare is highly recommended by dermatologists (and everyone else) because of how gentle it is, while still working hard to remove makeup, oil and grime from the skin and pores without drying out the face excessively.

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser for Acne Prone Skin with Salicylic Acid ($12)

I’ve been using this cleanser nightly for years to get a deeper clean and remove makeup before going to sleep. During winter months, when my face is drier, I’ve noticed that I have to really pack on the moisturizer to prevent excess dryness.

Toners 

Mario Badescu Cucumber Cleansing Lotion ($15) 

This toner disinfects the surface of the skin after cleansing to thoroughly remove dirt and makeup from the deep within pores and prevent future acne problems. 

Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera ($7)

For an alcohol-free and cheaper alternative to the Mario Badescu toner, the Thayers with Hazel toner is a cult-classic soothing toner made with rose-petal water, vitamin E and witch hazel extract. 

Moisturizers 

Glossier Priming Moisturizer ($22)

This lightweight moisturizer visibly plumps skin up with moisture to create cushiony bounce and an even texture, which helps minimize the appearance of pores—minus any heavy blurring ingredients. The anti-redness complex soothes and evens skin tone, leaving a clean, dewy and balanced finish.

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Facial Moisturizer With Broad Spectrum SPF 15 ($14)

This Aveeno moisturizer is a great affordable option for people who struggle with dull and blotchy skin and uneven skin tone, and it is oil-free so you won’t break out from added oils to the skin. The additional SPF will also prevent future sun damage to the skin. 

Acne Spot Treatments

Kate Somerville EradiKate Acne Treatment ($26)

For the last year, I have sworn by this product to pretty much anyone I’ve met. The spot treatment is applied with a cotton swab and left on overnight. The next morning, by some miracle, the blemish is gone, or at least drastically reduced. Although the price point may seem high, the little bottle lasts for months. 

Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment ($6)

The Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment is an affordable alternative to more high-end spot treatments and drying lotions. The product work wonders for shrinking the size of a pimple or blemish and won’t dry out your entire face, only the smaller areas where its applied to.

Cover Photo by: Into The Gloss

Product photos by Amazon, Glossier