This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Warning: Minor spoilers ahead

Who runs the world? Women. At least in Season 7 of Game of Thrones they do. For those of you who are big fans of the show, you might have noticed a little change in the current households. That’s right, they’re stepping it up and this season it was all about the ladies. House Targaryen, House Stark and of course, the Iron Throne has all been taken over by females #GirlPower. Game of Thrones is known for its fighting and sex scenes, but under all that macho bravado, we find that it actually sheds a lot of light in women empowerment. There are four main characters which this refers to: Arya Stark, Sansa Stark, Cersei Lannister, and Daenerys Targaryen.

1. Arya Stark

From messing with her little brother Bran in season one, to turning into a “Faceless man” in season 7, Arya Stark shows us that you are not defined by family name, but what you make of that name. Work hard towards what you want and see yourself rise towards what you’ve worked so hard to become. Whether it is plotting revenge towards those who harm your family or learning how to fight to protect yourself, Arya teaches us that the best way to be your best self is to work hard towards becoming who you want to be.

2. Sansa Stark

Let’s be honest, if there’s one person that’s improved the most as a character, it’s Sansa. She started off as a little girl who obeyed the Queen’s every command, to hiding from the Iron Throne after Joffrey’s murder, being sold to the Boltons as Ramsay’s wife and undergoing rape and other types of torturous circumstances, to finally bringing the North together alongside her brother Jon and becoming Lady Stark. Despite her hardships, Sansa Stark manages to stay poised and sophisticated as she runs the Stark household. You go girl!

3. Cersei Lannister

The character we all love to hate, Cersei Lannister. She does not give a single thought into anyone else’s opinions, she knows what she wants and goes after it one way or another. While we might not be a fan of Queen Cersei, she is kind of a badass. Just the way in which she walks with her head held high with a cup of wine in her hand, you already know she means business. Plus, she did manage to kill a good portion of the Game of Thrones characters by blowing up an entire building, no biggie.

4. Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys Targaryen of House Targaryen first of her name, Breaker of Chains, The Unburnt, Mother of Dragons and a bunch of other awesome titles that take too long to say or write. I think we can all agree when I say that this is the true Queen of the Iron Throne. While we may love to hate Cersei and she is a total badass, Dany is a hard-core, fierce leader. It’s in her title and in her character’s personality that she only wants what is best for the people and we can learn a thing or two from her.

In a fictional world of Game of Thrones where women are expected to stand back and do as they are told, these GoT women are not scared of speaking up and standing for their wants and beliefs. Step aside boys, this isn’t a man’s world anymore. 

Communications major with a love for Disney, coffee, and dogs of all shapes and sizes!