France Bans Underweight Models

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

A new set of laws have changed the dynamics of the modeling industry in France. France is breaking the barrier that has caused many women to live an unhealthy life style, as they starved themselves to make the runway. Starting this month, models are required a doctor’s note stating they are in healthy condition, focusing on an appropriate BMI which measures weight in relation to height.

Digitally edited photos will also need to be labeled photographie retouchée, to notify viewers that the model’s appearance has been retouched and enhanced.  For those agencies that do not comply with these regulations, they will be penalized with a fine of 75,000 euros ($82,000) and up six months in jail.

Anorexia is very common in France, affecting around 40,000 people, 90 percent of which are women. “Images of the body idolizing excessive thinness or wasting, and stigmatizing curves, undeniably contribute to unhappiness — especially among many young girls,” states the bill.

Society is constantly projected with unrealistic images that lead many young women to mental and physical instability. Idolizing underweight or unhealthy bodies has affected the way young adults look at themselves, causing them to take drastic measures so that they may feel as beautiful as these glamorized models. It’s time to redefine beauty and encourage both men and women to love the skin they’re in while living a healthy lifestyle. France has opened the door for change and one can only hope that this movement continues to make its way around the world.

cover