The FIU Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

There’s something about wood floors and white walls that makes being in a museum feel like a sophisticated and special event. The museum on the MMC campus is no different. For all FIU students, it is a must do, and it’s absolutely free to us. 

When you enter the museum on campus, found right across from Blue Garage, it feels like you are no longer in school and you’re on vacation. The silence and peace found inside is enough to take your mind off everything except what you can look at and read inside it’s walls. Up the stairs you have beautiful views of the lake behind the building and the greenery below. The palm trees sway in the constant Miami breeze and look more beautiful somehow when seen muted from inside. The sound of foot steps and small whispers greet you in every exhibit. It is a different experience than the hum of voices found everywhere else on campus, and a break from the constant rush we all seem to be in. As students, sometimes we don’t take a second to slow down and observe, and that is what this museum can provide. 

The exhibits are always changing, a great one happening now is the exhibit called “Dangerous Women,” which brings together art depicting women from mythology, ancient history and biblical stories. Women who made an impact on those around them, and in history. The art pieces are beautiful and stepping into the gallery feels as though you’ve stepped out of time. If you visit between long class breaks, be careful to watch the time, because it passes quickly in here without notice. 

If your class is canceled, or you have some time to spare in your busy day, don’t run home. You’re already here, you might as well check out the beauty right on our campus. Just present your Panther ID and stick on the sticker they give you at the check in desk, and enjoy the views. 

LKG 

All in-text photos were provided by the writer.

Cover Photo Source

Lillie is an English and Literature Student with a track in Creative Writing as well as experience in Public Relations and Law at Florida International University. She has a love for the arts, writing, creativity and adventure and focuses on sharing her experiences as well as informing her audience on current events in her writing.