Everything You Need to Know About the iPhone X

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The hype is real as Apple has officially released the new iPhone models. This past Tuesday, September 12 at 10:00 AM Apple hosted its annual release event for the long-awaited phone. This year marks the tenth anniversary of the iPhone which raised a lot of speculation about the name for the new iPhone. 

The event was hosted at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California. It is the first event ever hosted at the new Apple Park campus, which is exiting news for the company, and the theme for the event was “Let’s meet at our place.” The reason why people are so hyped about this new release is due to the radical changes that the iPhone design will have, along with the innovative features that will be introduced. 

Here are the main things that people can’t stop talking about:

1. Edge-to-edge display

This means that the infinity screen is now a thing, with no space being wasted at the top or bottom of the iPhone by the front camera or the touch ID button.

2. Vertical rear camera

Yes, you read that right, the camera will definitely be a big change in design as it will no longer lay horizontally in the back left corner. That will take some time to get used to.

3. Facial recognition feature

Say goodbye to the annoying and fragile touch ID button. The new iPhone is equipped with facial recognition in order to unlock. This is definitely the future!

4. Wireless charging

This is a highly speculated feature, but there has been plenty of confirmation from credible sources. Ming-Chi Kuo, a high profile analyst, made it one of his predictions in a direct note towards investors. There is a companion accessory that will be sold separately for those that wish to enable the wireless charging feature.

5. Glass Body

The return of the glass body is upon us. Apple walked away from this fragile design back in 2012 with the release of its iPhone 5. The glass body will be similar to that of the iPhone 4, but with a stainless steel or aluminum frame this time.

Other already existing features such as the water resistance and the camera quality will be improved. The new technology will allow the iPhone to have a better water resistance rating, and a faster, more accurate depth measurement for the zoom on the camera and a faster auto-focusing as well. This promises to be the most revamped and innovative iPhone yet and we cannot wait to see it.

As for colors, (let’s talk about the real important stuff now!) the acclaimed rose gold seems to be out for this season. There were some images going around of a “dummy model” of the expected iPhone X, shared by Ben Miller, an Austrian tech-enthusiast, Apple-geek and expert in iPhoneography (as he describes in his Instagram bio). In his model, an interesting copper-like colored iPhone is displayed with the expected new design.

Iphone 8 dummy model share by Ben Miller (@bensen on Instagram)

The color seemed promising, but the company actually announced that the new available colors will be: space graysilver and gold for the iPhone 8, but only silver or space gray back body for the iPhone X. We might not get the rose gold again, but the new colors seem more polished and modern than in any other iPhone seen before. The pre-order for the iPhone X will be available starting Oct. 10th and the phone itself will get to the hands of lucky ones by Nov. 11th, let the count down begin!

Photo: technology.inquirer.net