Breaking News: A “Hot” News Summary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The news never stops and neither do you. Women on the go know about the struggle of staying informed on current events. With everything going on around us, it is imperative that we educate ourselves and stay current with new information. Here at Her Campus, we understand that many of our readers barely have time to pick up a newspaper, much less a coffee break. So, what have we done for you? Our writers have developed a “hot” news briefing piece to keep you updated with what’s going on outside of your professional and social circle. In case you missed last week’s article, click here.

If you are completely confused by all the political talk on your Twitter timeline, then you are already behind. Luckily, we are here to help you catch up with what has been going on this week!

1. Andrew Puzder Has Withdrawn His Nomination for Labor Secretary 

• Andrew Puzder withdrew his nomination for labor secretary on Wednesday morning. According to The Washington Post, Puzder expressed his gratitude for being presented with the possible opportunity and said, “I am honored to have been considered by President Donald Trump to lead the department of Labor and put America’s workers and businesses back on a path to sustainable prosperity.” While the statement sounds touching, it has both Democrats and Republicans acting as team players. There has been plenty of scrutiny against Puzder from both ends because of his reputation. NBC has reported that, “He came under fire from Democrats concerned about his labor practices as CEO of a company that hires mostly low-wage workers and growing concern among Republicans because of his checkered personal past and his hiring of an undocumented worker in his home.” 

2. Michael Flynn Has Resigned as National Security Adviser  

• The scandal over Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election has not blown over. National security adviser Michael T. Flynn, resigned on Monday evening after being on the job for less than a month. According to several media outlets, he was one of several Trump advisers communicating with Russian nationals. Flynn, who denied these claims, had support from the White House. Vice President Mike Pence, defended Mr. Flynn in an interview just last month. Kellyanne Conway also stood by the retired general and said that the president had “full confidence” in Flynn. The resignation was finalized a few hours after her statement. Michael T. Flynn has released an apologetic resignation letter that addresses his denying the claims that he discussed U.S. sanctions with the Russian government. In his letter Flynn wrote, “Unfortunately, because of the fast pace of events, I inadvertently briefed the vice president- elect and others with incomplete information regarding my phone calls with the Russian ambassador.” The letter also included his apology which read, “I have sincerely apologized to the president and the vice president, and they have accepted by apology.” Click here to read the full article by The New York Times. 
  • You can view the letter of resignation by clicking here.

3. Mike Pence Is Upset About Being Lied To

• ​Although Michael Flynn was apologetic, the Vice President is not pleased with the recent turn of events. Pence had previously defended Mr. Flynn prior to knowing the truth about his communications with Russia. According to The New York Times, “Mr. Pence has told others in the White House that he believed Mr. Flynn lied to him by saying he had not discussed the topic of sanctions on a call with the Russian ambassador in late December.” 

4. Judge Neil Gorsuch’s Confirmation Hearings Are Set to Begin March 20th 

• The Senate Judiciary sent out a tweet this morning to announce the upcoming confirmation hearings for Trump’s Supreme Court nominee. 

5. President Trump’s Press Conference 

• President Trump’s press conference has the media buzzing! Earlier today, Mr. Trump voiced his opinions about the “fake” media in what many are calling a “rant.” “I don’t mind bad stories. I can handle a bad story better than anyone, as long as it’s true,” said the president. However, many viewers felt as though Trump was focusing on his image, rather than his country. CNN’s David Chalian said, “We saw a president that seemed more concerned about his reviews, than the business of the nation.” The news conference that lasted an hour and fifteen minutes was far from ordinary, starting with the Mr. Trump’s frustrated tone. “I have never seen a more dishonest media, frankly than the political media,” he said. Trump then continued to discredit the media by saying that the leaks are “absolutely real” but the news is fake.

Our reaction: 

• Mr. Trump also discussed the way his administration is being portrayed in the media and remained loyal to those on his team. Unhappy about how the TIMES Magazine cover made it seem like the White House is a mess, he defended his administration’s hard work by saying, “This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine.” The president also commented on the progress that has been made, “I don’t think there’s ever been a president elect who in this short period of time has done what we’ve done.” One of the most talked about moments thus far has been when the president commented about having the biggest electoral college win since Ronald Reagan. A reporter corrected Mr. Trump on this inaccurate information, and PolitiFact also has reports of the correct data. Trump explained himself by saying that this was information that had been given to him. The media seemed to reciprocate the frustration when pressing the president with questions about Russia. The president replied by saying, “Russia is fake news. This is fake news put out by the media.” According to a Fox News report, the president “summed up his complaints by suggesting he was being blamed for problems that have existed for years.” While many people acknowledge this, reporters are firing back by suggesting that the president stop whining and get to work.

We hope you enjoyed the “hot” news of the week. Make sure to keep up with us next week for more updates!