This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Reading is an essential part of life. Most people have read a book or two in their lifetime, whether it is due to an assignment given from a professor or to gain reading points in the points system implemented in elementary school. What people sometimes fail to realize is that a good book has the power to send you to a whole new world.

With the first month of the new year quickly coming to an end, it is important to continue the task of New Years Resolutions. If you have the desire to change something about yourself, build character or learn something new- these five books will definitely give you what you’re looking for in 2018.

1. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero

If you’ve heard about this book, there’s a reason for it. This book will give you everything you’ve been searching for if you’re trying to improve your life but either don’t know how to or are scared to. Jen Sincero includes 27 chapters full of inspiring stories that will give you great advice and have you laughing while doing so. You Are a Badass will help you create a life that you totally love.

2. The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

A lot of the times we as humans seek change, we crave for a difference in our lives that will potentially better us. With a new year come resolutions, which in many times they include losing weight, exercising more, being productive and possibly leading to success. In The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg shows that in order to change and create habits, one must understand how habits work. This book will help you transform your life and what’s around you.

3. Make Your Bed by William H. McRaven

Having big dreams involves making great plans to achieve success. Sometimes wanting to change the world can be overwhelming, but William McRaven illustrates in Make Your Bed that sometimes all it takes is just that: to make your bed. He shares ten principles he learned in Navy Seal training that are lessons that have changed him and can help change you and the world.

4. The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein

Everyone is scared. The uncertainty of the future is enough to instill fear instead of faith but with Gabrielle Berstein’s The Universe Has Your Back, that’s all about to change. The book gives readers a guide on how to gain happiness, security and clear direction. Let go of the need to control and relax into a sense of certainty. If you want to stop chasing life and truly start living, this is the book for you.

5. The Intellectual Devotional by David S. Kidder

Any Intellectual Devotional will be beneficial to your life. These books include a daily page for the entire year of short, yet thoughtful and intriguing readings that exercise the muscles in your brain. There is a wide variety of them: Health, American History, Modern Culture and many more. All will help you learn or re-learn things that are not only in our every day but will expand your knowledge of the not so common.

Cover Photo

Desi