The Humbled Hero: Troy Harris, ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

As we get settled in for the interview, he pulls out a large bowl of Chipotle. Before he digs in, he graciously asks, “Would you like some?” then raises an eyebrow to imply that I will most certainly regret declining his offer later. Troy Harris has done it all. From Freshman and Sophomore class Senator (IDSC chair), member of Alpha Kappa Psi, Junior Class President, member of the Beta Nu Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, 2011 Florida A&M University’s Homecoming Chair; to even rapping, and now he holds one of the highest offices any student can hold on our campus—Student Government Association’s Vice President. It is amazing that he finds time to eat, or sleep for that matter. It was no surprise that he received back to back “important” phone calls from various campus clubs and organizations while we sat down to talk. However, I was also surprised by his variety of talents and humble demeanor. He performed freestyle in ode to Her Campus and the interview. Troy can also play the trombone, though he is a bit rusty at this skill; I enjoyed a colorful version of “Lean on Me,” live. With all the attention and pressure, he still manages to treat everyone with kindness, and remains a genuinely funny and friendly guy. You can catch Troy around campus dressed up in a suit along with one of his many ties or dressed down with a pair of his signature, bright colored Levi jeans. There is no wonder why Troy Harris is a Campus Celebrity. He truly lives up to his favorite quote by Lupe Fiasco, “My procedures to proceed at all costs, no breather.”

HC FAMU: What would you say is your role as a student leader on our campus?
TH:Abstract facilitator, beacon of action, humble hero and a passionate interactor.

HC FAMU: What made you chose to be SGA Vice President?
TH:It chose me. The universe placed me there… and so it was!

HC FAMU: What is one platform you wish to fulfill with your term?
TH:CACUCS – Cultural Awareness, Social Unity, Community Service. *Be sure to check out a RE-Think Black Education Forum*

HC FAMU: What is one personal goal you would love to achieve within the next ten years?
TH:Owning a self-sustaining business that will help Blacks. Not necessarily for personal monetary gain. It will be a sort of advertising, marketing, and accounting firm for Black businesses.

HC FAMU If you could be a superhero, who would you be?
TH:Freakazoid, he’s half boy and half superhero. He’s the man. His parents think he’s knocked out in his room and he’s really out getting it in, saving the world! It’s also my line name.

HC FAMU: What does the College of Love and Charity mean to you?
TH:Charity. They could have picked so many other words, (as he “googles” the word ‘Charity’). Charity –the voluntary giving of help or money to those in need. FAMU is a gift; we’re all about giving and helping our community and students.

HC FAMU: Give one sentence of advice to Troy Harris freshman year.
TH:“Just chill, you’ll be alright.”

HC FAMU: How would you describe Troy Harris in two words?
Breyon Love: Innovative and Unpredictable (Troy’s roommate, running mate, fraternity brother and best friend).

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.