Erica Eubanks, ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Name: Erica Nicole Eubanks
Major: Broadcast Journalism
Classification: Senior
Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, Fla

HC FAMU: You’re president of FAMU SISTUHS, which can easily be called the biggest women’s community service organization on campus. Tell us a bit more about that.
ENE:I keep hearing that we’re one of the biggest, I never did the math! :P But I get the chance to lead over 150 bright, beautiful, charismatic young women and it’s wonderful! It does get hard at times because I do take on the role of a big sister & a mother figure (to the younger SISTUHS) so I can be the wet-blanket often times but it’s always worth it. So many people outside of HBCUs have such a distorted view of African American women and here I am, blessed enough to see the growth and amazing work of so many African American women! Because I have the title of President, people think I have it all together but my SISTUHS constantly amaze me, they’re all so different in their own ways and make me feel like a proud Mama/SISTUH.

HC FAMU: What does SISTUHS bring to the campus of Florida A&M?
ENE: We are committed to serving our community in more ways than just mentoring or cleaning up the campus. One of my favorite ways we serve our campus are our health initiatives. Working at FAMU Health has shown me just how vital it is for the word to be put out about HIV testing, Sexual Assault, Breast Cancer, etc. We proudly pass out condoms to students, get others tested, and much more. I also like to believe that we bring a great image of African-American women to the campus alongside the other wonderful female organizations that we have here on the hill. It’s so rare to be on campus and you don’t see a SISTUH! I love that!

HC FAMU: What is SISTUHS for those who don’t know about it?
ENE: SISTUHS, Inc. is a community service based organization for women. Although we are a predominately African-American based organization, we do not discriminate and have several members across Florida that are bi-racial, Caucasian, and hispanic.

HC FAMU: How long have you been a member of SISTUHS? Why did you decide to join?
ENE: I joined SISTUHS, Inc. in the Fall of 2009. I joined SISTUHS because I truly love service, and my big sister was also a member when she was at FAMU. The Spring semester before I became a member, I had a falling out with a best friend and it really made me sit and take a long look at myself and where I was going… and I was not happy. I questioned myself, my loyalty, my whole character, I was lost for a bit. And I found SISTUHS, who accepted me, flaws and all. No questions asked. It was a safe-haven for me so I pledged to myself to teach other young women to do better, to use my creativity and leadership skills for the better.

HC FAMU: What do you like most about SISTUHS?
ENE: My SISTUHS of course!! Those girls drive me CRAZYYYY! But wow, do I love them! They really have taught me so much. They tell me when I’m being a granny, when I’m being too rude, when I need to relax and have some time to myself. I found some great friends within SISTUHS and I swear, I wonder how the chapter can deal with my crazy self sometimes.

HC FAMU: What else are you involved in on campus?
ENE: I am the Sexual Violence Peer Educator on campus for FAMU Student Health Services where I work with FAMU Health and the city of Tallahassee and speak to people about sexual assault, rape and domestic violence. I am also a contributor for the FAMUAN and a Jazz radio personality for WANM 90.5.

HC FAMU: What are your post-graduation plans?
ENE: I’d like to be an Investigative Reporter focusing on issues involving women and children, as well as a Victims Advocate working for the Police Department. I’ve also always wanted a family, I’m pretty traditional and sappy like that.

HC FAMU: What are your guilty pleasures?
ENE: Sour Punch Straws, My Boo, Seinfeld, Cooking, Beauty Pageants, Speech writing (lame, I know,) watching Waiting to Exhale and musical theatre!

HC FAMU: How do you relax, when you get the time?
ENE: I really love cooking, I can’t bake too well but I love spending the time cooking. I love going to museums and other random places to kill time, even going to the park. I’m one of those people who can actually sit in a beautiful park and soak up everything around me, I’m like one of those sappy people in the movies who is constantly floating on a cloud and smiling.

HC FAMU: What is your inspiration?
ENE: My family is definitely my #1 source of inspiration but even beyond them, my mistakes are a big inspiration to me. Sounds crazy but I have made many, many, many mistakes in my life and am forever growing. There are major mistakes I have made in my past that many have gotten over or forgotten, but I haven’t, I take them all as life lessons. People like to believe that leaders, whether campus leaders or nationwide leaders, got to the top unscathed and unbroken… untrue. I live my life as an example of the fact that people can be redeemed and no one is perfect.

HC FAMU: Describe your personality.
ENE: Soft-spoken, ridiculously calm, goofy with an odd sense of humor, the typical Pisces, bossy at times, giving, always ready to listen and a emotional basket-case!

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.