Why Plus Size Models Are Becoming the New Size Zero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

With catwalks slowly edging off the size zero trend, curvier and more healthy looking models are starting to take the limelight.

Natalie Monet of the US was a finalist of Torrid’s House of Dreams Model Search and is an up-and-coming plus size model with an extensive portfolio and history of modelling and has a thing or two that she thinks should change in the fashion industry.

I spoke to Natalie to find out her opinion on this:

HC: Plus size girls are often made to feel inadequate within fashion and trends. Where do you like to shop for fashionable and sexy clothes?

NM: “I like to shop everywhere. Straight size or plus. I go into stores that don’t cater to plus size without fear because you just never know. You might find a great piece in an XL that will fit you, or a great piece of jewellery. I love companies like Asos.com, SimplyBe, H&M and TopShop. Just to name a few. And you can never go wrong with Forever 21. These are great companies that are on trend and know how to dress a woman’s curves.”

HC: How were you spotted/how did you get into the modelling industry?

NM: “I actually was a finalist in Torrid’s House Of Dreams Model Search. I was one of seven girls that won. And as they say, the rest is history.”

HC: What is your favourite trend at the moment?

NM: “I really love the metallic look right now. I’m drawn to anything shiny and I love the metallic shoes, tops, and skirts. I’m just trying to incorporate this trend into my everyday life without looking like an astronaut!”

HC: What is your favourite type of shoot?

NM: “I really love the editorial shoots. I get to be creative and move. Smiling is nice too but it’s easier for me to be serious.”

HC: Do you think the modelling and fashion industry uses too many size zero, or skinny models?

NM: “Of course, the industry is all about fantasy and giving an illusion. But even the models that are in the magazines or runways don’t really look like that. And it’s dangerous. You have girls that are starving themselves to get to that illusion. To reach something that isn’t real.”

HC: What would you love to see more of in the modelling and fashion industry?

NM: “I would really love to see more diversity. We’ve come such a long way for plus size. But how about more Latina plus size models? Here in the US there about 50 million Latinos. I think that’s enough for representation. But we need to represent everyone not just Latinos. We need representation for everyone.”

HC: Who do you idolize in the modelling and fashion industry?

NM: “I have such a long list of people that I look up to in the industry. But my top favourites are Linda Evangelista, Ashley Graham, Christy Turlington, and Joan Smalls.”

HC: If you could give any advice to plus size women wanting to get into the industry, what would that be?

NM: “Not to be scared! If it’s something that your heart really desires go for it. And don’t take “No” for an answer or let it stop you. And it’s very important to do your homework and know the who’s who of the industry.”

I am a beauty and fashion mad Journalism student at Falmouth University, England, UK. I love writing about cosmetics and new trends in the beauty and fashion world, and am an avid collector of make up.