Lipsticks for the Perfect Valentine’s Day Kiss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Valentines Day is nearly upon us and us lipstick wearer’s have a daunting task to face— which lipstick do we wear for our Valentine’s Day kiss? We all know the mess some lipsticks, lipstains, and lipglosses can leave on our Valentine (eugh!) so check out a few of the lip products that won’t budge down below! 

First, you need to make sure your lips are being looked after; the last thing you want is chapped lips since that makes lipstick crack throughout the night. Make sure you’re applying lip balm throughout the day especially when its cold. Avoid using vaseline too much as it can actually dry out your lips even more due to the wax content.

When picking your lipstick, make sure you’re wearing one that actually suits you and not just your outfit.

If you go into stores like Boots they’ll be able to match colours to your skin tone! Try out colours beforehand— you don’t want to have to keep applying different colours while getting ready as it will dry out your lips but also potentially ruin your foundation!

I have gathered together a few different lipsticks you could try for the big night! Before applying, make sure your lips are soft by appling lip balm while do your other makeup. I also use a lip plumper lip gloss just to give myself a little extra pout but this is completely optional! Make sure the lips are dry before applying any lip stick on top!

I tend to use EOS lip balms throughout the day.  You can find the lip plumper here.

I would also advise you use lip liner if you have it, as it stops the lip stick from spreading into the cracks of your skin around your mouth!

In the above picture I am wearing MUA lip liner in shade brooding plum (which is only £1) filled in with Kate Lipstick in shade 107 (£5.49). After blotting and reapplying once, I then add a lipcote (£3.49) which helps hold the lipstick in place. It does burn when first applied but it stops after a bit!

Above I’m wearing something a little more subtle. I’m using the Avon Ultra Colour lip crayon in the shade cherry picked (currently £4.50). It’s easy to apply and doesnt require a top coat unless you feel you need it. It can be topped with a clear gloss if you’re after that look! 

Above I’m also wearing Avon. This time I’m wearing Ultra Colour 3D Plumping Lipstick in Uptown Pink (£8 currently on a 2 for £10 deal). This lipstick has a built in plumper so plumping before applying isn’t always required. I also used a Model Co Lip Inhancer liner (£16) which I actually got free with a magazine— bargain! I also top this with lipcoat although it isn’t really needed!

In my final picture I am wearing a slightly more expensive option but it by far is the most long lasting. Above, I’m wearing the Kylie Jenner Matte Lipgloss and Liner in Dolce K ($29.00). I have seen cheaper on Amazon but sadly there are a lot of fakes around! This lip gloss is subtle in colour but holds all night. 

I can also say from experience that it lasts through a kiss without needing another coat.

There is such a large varity of lipsticks out there and these are just a handful of the ones I use and the ones avaliable!  Don’t worry if you’re single though hunnies, these lipsticks are also party proof so go and let your hair down and enjoy being you! 

I'm a first year Creative Events Management student at Falmouth University in Cornwall. I'm a beauty queen from Wiltshire andI'm currently Face of The Globe England 2017!