‘Inception’s’ Japanese Predecessor: A Review of Paprika

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Paprika.

I went into this film knowing next to nothing about it. All I knew was that it was a Japanese ‘anime’ film animated by Madhouse, so already I was hyped to see what it was about— both from the point of view of an anime fan and now as an animation student. The film is such a surreal experience; immediately I got the vibe of a Hollywood blockbuster like Inception. Ironically, one of the film’s protagonists, Kotokawa, is a film buff in denial and a lot of his dreams project typical tropes from various film genres such as action and suspense. Paprika has no shame in going over the top with its repetitive dramatic close ups, eerie imagery, or confusing, reality-bending visual effects. While it is a masterpiece of a film, at points I wondered if it should be considered as much of a film as it is a cinematic experience— something so abstract and confusing to the viewer that it hardly follows the plot of a film at all, yet it still manages to keep its form together admirably by presenting a typical beginning, dilemma, climax and end formula seen in any blockbuster.

The plot revolves around a team of scientists and psychologists wishing to use mind control devices in order to enter the dreams of patients and aid them in psychotherapy using reality-bending methods. Their good intentions are quickly sabotaged when three devices go missing, believed to have been stolen by the friend of the leading scientist, Tobita. At the same time, people are injuring themselves in dreamlike trances, the scientists are following rabbit trails, and a homicide detective, Kotokawa, experiences intense dreams where he watches a murder victim die in front of him, but, how does the mysterious Paprika fit into all of this?

While a lot of the plot doesn’t make sense until one watches it several times over— and, arguably, the film doesn’t need to be understood as much as it simply needs to be seen and interpreted in the way beyond the intentions of the creators— what really stands out to me is the heart of the film. Because the plot is so surreal and non-conforming to typical cinema, the film feels a lot more like a character-driven one, and this can only be a good thing because the characters are all so diverse it made my animation buff heart fill with joy! Every character, while maintaining the mature, sophisticated art style Madhouse does so well, is recognisably different in appearance and attitude, and they don’t need rainbow eyes and hair to be picked out from the crowd. From the serious and down-to-earth Atsuko, the chubby and idealistic Tobita, the lonely washed-out Kotokawa to the bubbly and spirited Paprika herself, the designs are creative, fun and stylish, adding another layer to their interesting group dynamics. Their personalities also add a sense of realism to the film, with Kotokawa’s regrets at not pursuing the film career his friend wanted to embark on with him, and Tobita wishing to remain blind to the fact that his inventions, created with pure intentions, are being used to corrupt the public. Their human reactions to these kind of situations creates another unpolished, yet genuine, facet to their characters, and it makes for excellent storytelling (especially since it explored the psyche of just about every central character in the film). We were able to look into the mindsets of mourners, narcissists and lonely introverts, and see how the dream world crumbled when it couldn’t cope with these conflicting characteristics.

The artwork for this film was phenomenal; the backgrounds are beautifully painted, creating a rustic, ordinary setting to contrast against the bizarre imagery conjured in the dreams. It perfectly captures the quiet, ordinary characteristics of everyday life which creates a surreal sensation when a towering toy parade is cruising through the streets. From bleak city streets to abandoned amusement parks, the background artwork of Paprika is beautifully crafted and wonderfully compliments the mature tone of the film.

Paprika has received multiple awards over the years, and after watching it, it’s easy to see why. The tones are dark, yet the character designs are playful, and the animation is fluid and dynamic. The voice acting is decent, and the artwork is beautifully atmospheric. While the ending leaves a lot of questions unanswered and the motives of the villains are questionable, the foundations of the film itself more than make up for this and makes the film Paprika well worth watching.

Rating: 5/5

Hi, I'm Hannah, a first year Animation & Visual Effects student at Falmouth University! I'm here to get my voice heard and create relatable articles using my life experiences as a woman.