FXU 2017 Elections: Carol Pippin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

So, it’s election week for the FXU.

It’s an eventful time for both Falmouth and Exeter students alike and soon we’ll be deciding who’ll assume the new roles of President of Student Experience, President of Falmouth, President of Exeter, and President of Community and Welfare. Also, make sure to check out my interview with FXU’s current President of Student Experience— Amanda. So, I saw that one of the students who is running for President of Student Experience happens to be Carol Pippin, one of the girls from the Pole Fitness Society that I interviewed not too long ago (click here to read that interview). Interested, I decided to do a bit of stalking. 

From my interview, I learned that Carol Pippin is a third year student who studies the Acting degree at Falmouth University. Her slogan ‘Chip-In With Pippin’ is really cute and catchy and gives off the impression that she’s eager to listen to us students. I then decided to dig a bit deeper and asked Carol if I could see her manifesto. She said yes and sent me the photo with her entire manifesto written on it! 

(Photo courtesy of Carol Ann Pippin.)

From the info bit on her manifesto, it says that she’s already a Student Senior Ambassador and a Student Senior Mentor, so she definitely has some experience with helping Falmouth university students and listening to their complaints or compliments about the uni.

Underneath the subsection ‘Your Thoughts Matter, Let’s Talk About It’, I get the sense that Carol belives students have a right to know about projects and changes that are executed on campus and she wants to strenghten the levels of communication between students and staff. I think that students should have a say in changes that the universities undergo on both of the Penryn and Falmouth campuses since we’re the ones directly affected by those alterations. I like that Carol wants our voices to be heard and to be loud, which sounds great to me! 

The next section titled ‘Standing Together As A Collaborative Community’, Carol basically says that she knows that students think that sports clubs and societies need more funding and support from the FXU. Honestly, I haven’t seen much support from students when it comes to our sports teams. I, personally, never hear of any games or matches that are being played and I think that it’s important that we should support them as a community of students. 

The third section is titled ‘Let’s Save Money & Care for Our Planet’; Carol says that she wants to ‘further promote the benefits of walking, cycling and car-sharing’ on our campuses. I’m sure we all know a student with a car that complains about there not being any places to park on or near campus; there are minimal parking spaces on Penryn Campus and even a scarcer amount on the Woodlane Campus. Encouraging students to walk and cylce to their respective campus would definitely be so much better for the enviroment. I know that some students do have to drive to get to campus, but car-sharing or car-pooling with friends or housemates would be a much better alternative to everyone driving their cars. 

The next and final section is titled as ‘Promoting What You Love’. Here, I understand that Carol wants us students to be able to showcase our art and work that we’re proud of on several different platforms. There are a couple of exibitions on the Penryn Campus and the Woodlane Campus throughout the academic year, but being able to showcase different kinds of work from various kinds of courses would be great. 

In conclusion, I think that Carol’s promises line up with my wants and needs as a second year student at Falmouth University. Thank you so much to Carol Pippin for giving me permission to use her images for this article and don’t forget to go and vote online here on the FXU Election Vote page

Hi there! My name is Genesis and I'm the CC for Her Campus Falmouth! I also currently study English with Creative Writing at Falmouth Universty! I'm originally from New York City but I'm abroad for university. Some of the things I love include the colour pink, furry and fat animals, watching films, going for walks, taking pictures of animals, reading sci-fi, and writing!