Cheap Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

It’s no secret that not everyone can afford luxurious trips and fancy, candle-lit dinners to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Below are some affordable date ideas that are just as cute and meaningful as any expensive one. Of course, these dates aren’t limited to people that are in relationships since Valentine’s Day is about celebrating all kinds of relationships not only romantic ones. Family relationships and friendships are often left out of the Valentine’s Day celebrations, since the media tells us that it’s only for middle-class (straight) couples. Below are cheap Valentine’s Day celebration ideas for friends, families, and couples with tighter budgets. Of course, feel free to spend a little bit more on Valentine’s Day because you deserve to treat yourself!

1. Indoor Picnic.

Everyone loves a picnic! If you live in a colder climate, lay out a blanket on the floor or carpet and set up like you normally would at any outdoor picnic! Of course you can prepare traditonal picnic foods like sandwiches and fruit salad, but sitting on a blaket eating takeout also counts. 

2. DIY Spa Day. 

Spa treatments can get pretty pricey especially around this time of year. A bit of pamerping allows you to wind down and relax on V-Day. There’s tons of different recipes on the Internet for natural face masks, hair masks, body scrubs, and tons more! These are fun treats that people of all genders and all ages will enjoy. 

3. Film Night. 

Having a movie marathon at home in your most comfortable pyjamas is probably the best way to spend Valentine’s Day. Anything goes in terms of film genres— action & adventure, horror, romantic comedy, or family appropriate! Stock up on all of your favourite snacks, candies, cookies, cupcakes, and drinks and cuddle up with your significant other, friends, or family in front of the TV or laptop! Pass the popcorn! 

Hi there! My name is Genesis and I'm the CC for Her Campus Falmouth! I also currently study English with Creative Writing at Falmouth Universty! I'm originally from New York City but I'm abroad for university. Some of the things I love include the colour pink, furry and fat animals, watching films, going for walks, taking pictures of animals, reading sci-fi, and writing!