This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s getting close to that time of the year when you are all probably in desperate need to clean out all your junk that has piled up, specifically in our closets. It’s spring cleaning time,  ladies! I know exactly how much of a chore this can be, but it’s all worth it once you get it cleaned out and organized. Here are some tips for spring cleaning your closet that will hopefully make the process an easy one!

1. Have a Good Playlist

This is something that you should do in preparation for spring cleaning your closet. You don’t want to clean in silence, so make sure to make a great playlist of your favorite songs to keep you motivated throughout your cleaning process!

2. Dump Out Everything

This may sound messy, but it works. Take everything from your closet, and I mean ~everything~, and dump it out on the floor. This will help you to see all the stuff you really have and it will probably amaze you how you fit it all in your closet in the first place. Take a good look, and then get to work purging!

1. Purge!

This is a very important thing to remember to do, ladies. I know it can be scary to get rid of some items from your closet, but you and I both know it’s time to let them go. Spring cleaning is not only about organizing, it is also about getting rid of the old things to make room for the new!

1. 1 Year Rule

This is a great rule to follow if you are having trouble purging your clothes and don’t know what to get rid of. Look at an item of clothing, and if you haven’t worn it in the past year, or it still has the tag on it, then purge it. If you haven’t worn it in the past year, then you probably don’t like it that much and won’t wear it later, so it’s time to let it go.

1. Keep, Sell, Throw Away, Donate

When going through your piles of clothes, shoes, bags, etc. try to make four piles: Keep, Sell, Throw Away, Donate. The keep pile is obviously for things that you will keep and put back in the closet. The sell pile is for items that either have the tag still on them, or are pretty high end things that are still in good shape that you could potentially sell. The throw away pile is for items that are so worn and old, that you have to get rid of them! The donate pile is for those items that are lightly used that you can donate to your nearest Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. If you have younger siblings, cousins, friends, etc. you can also see if they would want some of your old things.

1. Clean

Ladies! Don’t be afraid to grab some cleaning products, a rag, and maybe a vacuum to clean out your closet too. Spring cleaning isn’t just about the items in your closet, but also cleaning the closet itself. Dust off those shelves, vacuum out any dirt and dust, and leave your closet looking fresh for all your things to go back into.

1. Use Organization Methods

This is a very important thing to keep in mind once you have cleaned your closet and sorted through you clothes and other things. Do not just shove everything back into the closet. Get some hangers, shelves, bins, and anything else you need, and organize the items in your “keep” pile. Put it all back into your closet nicely and you’ll be amazed with the results! Here’s a challenge: try to keep it this organized for the whole year so it won’t be so much work next spring!  

Happy Spring Cleaning!

Catherine Santangelo is a first year student here at Fairfield University, and is from Pelham, New Hampshire. She is a Communications major, Educational Studies minor, and plans to get her Masters in Elementary Education to become a teacher. In her free time she loves to listen to music, watch the Boston Bruins, and laugh with her friends. She is super excited to be a part of the Her Campus team this year and looks forward to writing many articles for readers to enjoy!
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com