jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sh*t Girls Say: Generation-Y Dictionary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

LegitWhat it means: A shortened form of legitimately; real or truthful, cool or awesome.Why we use it: When we need to let our friends know that something definitely happened or that it’s the truth.In a sentence: (1) “I legit just did five hours of homework.” (2) “That puppy is so cute I legit want to put in my pocket!”

I Can’tWhat it means: You are unable to; you are so overwhelmed by something that you are no longer able to properly function.Why we use it: When we need to tell our friends that we can’t even handle a situation any more.In a sentence: (1) “Did you see what she tweeted? Oh my god I can’t!” (2) “I need those shoes, oh my god I can’t they are just perfect.”

I’m DyingWhat it means: Let’s be serious here you aren’t physically dying but you’ve hit that point of the above “cannot-ing.”Why we use it: To express how we feel when we are sick, tired, bored, hungover or as a second form of the above “I can’t.”In a sentence: (1) “How are people even drinking after last night? I’m dying.” (2) “I have so much homework do this week. I’m dying.”

Combination of the three: “I’m dying I legit have so much work this week, I can’t even.”

AFWhat it means: No, it’s not Abercrombie and Fitch! Times have changed since Gen-Y’s middle school days. Anytime you see AF you can guarantee it means “as f*ck.”Why we use it: Any member of Generation Y knows that if you want to express a large quantity or intensity you add “af” to the end of it.In a sentence: (1) “This class is boring AF.” (2) “Can you please take down that picture of me, I look ugly AF.”

Judge MeWhat it means: When someone does a questionable action and says, “judge me” it usually translates to “I don’t care.”Why we use it: While everyone may do questionable things from time to time, as long as you say “judge me” after it, you’re acting like you don’t care. In a sense you’re daring someone to pass judgment on you for it.In a sentence: “Yeah I wore these yoga pants yesterday, judge me.” 

SelfieWhat it means: One of the most used words of 2013, taking a picture of yourself either alone or with a friend which is usually sent to another person via Snapchat, text message or uploaded to Instagram.Why we use it: Unless you are singing the Chainsmokers’ song #SELFIE we usually use it to refer to the picture we are taking of ourselves  (possibly with our friends) to send to othersIn a sentence: (1) “But first let me take a #selfie” (2) “Jenna, come take a selfie with me!”

TwerkWhat it means: A type of provocative dance move that requires jiggling your butt at a quick speed.Why we use it: because it is a dance move and pop-culture staple that has been made famous by celebrities such as Miley Cyrus (see VMA’s performance).In a sentence: (1) “She got drunk and started twerking,” (2) “I need a nicer butt so I can twerk.

BetchWhat it means: An endearing, less harsh form of the word “b*tch” often used among female friendsWhy we use it: Because it is a kind of term of endearment. Referring to someone as a betch typically means she is sassy, funny or kind of an actual b*tch but you just don’t want to call her that directlyIn a sentence: (1) “Chelsea you are my betch forever!” (2) “Takin’ a selfie with my favorite betch! *insert picture of self and best girl friend here*

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!