This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Neuroblastoma. Have you ever heard of it? Before Ronan, I hadn’t. I didn’t know this was even a form of pediatric cancer. I didn’t know it was the most common type of cancer in infants. I didn’t know that every 16 hours a child with Neuroblastoma dies. Isn’t that strange? Not really. Not when the National Cancer Institute only gives 3% of their budget goes to ALL 12 of types of pediatric cancer. Money for research and cures of all types of cancer is important; that’s not even debatable. But when there is a disease that people aren’t even aware of? There’s no excuse for that.

Ronan was born on May 12th, 2007. He was diagnosed in August of 2010, when they found a tumor in his abdomen; it was deemed stag 4 Neuroblastoma. He passed away May 9th, 2011. He didn’t even get to see his fourth birthday. Ronan’s mother, Maya, would not stand for this. Instead of giving up, she got angry. She wanted change and she promised Ronan she would never stop fighting, even when he no longer could.

Maya started a blog when Ronan was diagnosed that instantly drew attention because of her raw emotional and take no bullsh** attitude. Her favorite phrase is “f**k you cancer!” Her blog took off, and when Ronan passed, it got even bigger and she became madder. She collected a following and together they work to find a cure to this killer called Neuroblastoma.

Through her persistence and passion, Maya has taken the world by storm. Her blog has over 14 million hits. Many celebrities including Brett Michaels wear “Ronan Bracelets”, there has been a Spirit Hood dedicated to Ronan’s cause and Maya has even been on Katie Couric. She’s also been the subject of articles in the Huffington Post, the Daily Mail, and Us Weekly.

One of the foundation’s biggest advocates is Taylor Swift. Taylor had read Maya’s blog and soon got involved. She wrote a song called “Ronan”, dedicated to Ronan’s life and struggle with cancer. She also performed the song at the Stand Up to Cancer event on live television. The proceeds from the song on iTunes go to the foundation.

Maya is getting the word out, and she is in no way slowing down. However, she can’t do it alone. Buy a bracelet, buy a Spirit Hood, buy the song on iTunes, donate to the cause, or just spread awareness! That means just as much. Live your life and be a rockstar! To Maya, that’s what life is about: living the life that kids like Ronan never got to live. Get the word out and get angry about the injustice. But most importantly FU CANCER!

I'm a Communication major, double minor in Professional Writing and Spanish at Fairfield University.I love having a good time, dogs, tattoos and making people laugh. That's pretty much it.
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.