Meet Your 2014-2015 FUSA President and Vice President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

This week’s campus celebrities were the newly inaugurated Student Body President and Vice President, Alex Cucchi and Anif McDonald! I got the chance to speak with them about some occurrences this year including Clam Jam, and their opinions on the rising popularity of the app Yik Yak, and what they have in store for us this coming 2014-2015 year! I’m looking forward to another great year at Fairfield with these two as our new leaders, read on to see why

Her Campus: What made you want to join FUSA and later become President and Vice President?Anif McDonald: I was always a part of student council and student government in high school, which made me want to immediately get involved at Fairfield as well. It’s the best way to get out and meet people and become really involved at school. Cucch encouraged me to join and even said to me as a freshman that I would eventually become his VP.Alex Cucchi: Same with Anif. I was Student body President of Xaverian Brothers High School which is where Anif and I both attended school, and from there I wanted to continue being involved in college. I Became President of the freshmen class here at Fairfield and from there kept wanting to be a big part of the student body.

HC: What are your plans for FUSA 2014-2015?AC: Improve the student experience as a whole. We really want to make that tangible and get more people involved by working with Stags in the Stands and Faculty to help increase attendance at events, improving faculty advising, and career planning. We really want at least someone to know the fight song, I don’t know if anyone knew that but we do have one (laughs). AM: Our number one goal is definitely creating more school spirit.AC: Completely agree. I also think we need to have a spirit shirt like every other school, and come together for school events on a regular basis.

HC: Should more people get involved with FUSA, and if so, why?AM: Yes. It’s the most organized and largest club on campus. You definitely need a lot of determination and dedication but once you join you’ll never want to go back.AC: It’s one of the bigger communities on campus. It’s really a community within a community that’s a really good influence all around.

HC: What is the biggest piece of advice Alex Long has given you?AC: You can’t be afraid to ask the difficult questions or advocate for the difficult issues because of the relationship you have with administration and whatnot, because at the end of the day it’s your job to voice the student opinions.AM: One big thing I really took from Alex Long is maintaining the image of FUSA, and making sure that next year as Vice President and Cucchi as President that we are people that the student body can look up to as the leaders of the school to promote involvement and a strong community on campus.

HC: Because you two are big advocates for creating a strong school community, what were your thoughts on Clam Jam this year?AC: We weren’t at the point, but we did not hear any good responses. It’s a big worry next year for me living on the point after hearing that people on the point were barricaded into their own homes practically.

AM: It was really disappointing because it is one of the biggest community builders, even though  many may say it has a bad name to it. Although it’s at the end of the year a lot of people meet new friends at Clam Jam that they wouldn’t know otherwise.HC: How do you think we could accommodate to the residents of Fairfield beach to assure a fun senior year without interfering and needing cops to break up Clam Jam?AC: Unfortunately I’m worried that now they finally found a formula to shut it down but maybe working with neighbors and building a better relationship with them would make a difference. 

AM: I’m working on doing something with the BRO Senior group, where the senior class could do some little things for the other residents like making a few bucks shoveling or even just writing christmas cards so that the students are seen in a better light, not just as “booze bags” that run around the beach on the weekends.AC: We were also saying it would be fun to have some kind of event, like a 5K or something that the whole town including students could participate in to bring everyone together.

HC: Definitely all awesome ideas. Another part of our school community recently has been the new app Yik Yak, what are your thoughts on this?AC: Had it for a couple days, it was kind of funny at first with my friends ripping on each other but then my name was dropped everywhere, apparently I cried at the end of Mean Girls (laughs). Oh and I also was wearing pink in Barone yesterday for anyone that wanted to know… cause I saw that posted too.AM: I have the app but have never personally ‘Yaked’. I think it’s funny when it’s like “I think my sister’s hot” or something unrealistic. But then when I saw random freshmen being victimized it took a turn for the worse, and now it’s really not fun anymore. My names been dropped a few times too, I think it’s the funniest when people say “Anif M,” who else is named Anif at this school? (laughs). I also read one that said I eat chicken nuggets out of Alex Cucchi’s pants? (laughs). But I really do appreciate HerCampus speaking out and personally feel bad for all of those who have been victimized on the app. Once you put people’s first and last names and associate them with rumors it is not ok.

HC: We’ve really been trying to put an end to the app and hope the victimizing stops soon. Thank you so much for your time, any last words for us?AC: Toodles, excited for next year. Get ready.

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!