#HerVote: Your Vote Is Your Voice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

When walking around campus, there are many different converstions you’ll overhear. For the most part these conversations are about what’s being served in Barone, weekend plans, or that ridiculous group project due next week. The one topic that is often dismissed though, is voting. Voting is an essential part of being an American citizen, but is something college students tend to put aside. Many of us believe that we won’t be able to make a change with our one little vote, while others don’t like the political parties. Sometimes, we think that we just don’t have enough time or energy to get registered. But regardless of your political views, that your vote is your voice and it can be used to impact the country. 

The only way to fix a situation is by taking initiative, and that starts with your vote. When you vote you’re standing up for something that you believe in, you’re taking a stance on a situation and appointing the person you think can make a difference.

Her Campus Fairfield is working with The College Democrat’s to host Voter Registration Day, this Friday, October 3 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., next to Einstein’s. All you need to do is present your Stag Card and fill out a brief form. This is an important time to get registered because the next general election date is November 4, 2014.

Registering with the university allows you to vote on things that could affect your Fairfield experience. By being a voter for Fairfield County, you can vote for the representatives that aren’t looking to decrease financial aid in Connecticut.

Although this event is being run with the College Democrats, you are free to register with whatever party you feel most passionate about. It doesn’t matter what you register as, as long as you register.

Dr. Thomas Pellegrino, Vice President for Student Affairs here at Fairfield, believes getting out to vote is very important. He said, “At Fairfield, our students’ lives are greatly impacted by what happens outside the four walls of our campus.  Whether it is at the local, state of national level, this impact is addressed most directly by exercising the right to vote.  Some students – and plenty of non-students too – often think that their vote won’t impact anything.  That is not true.  And students are in a unique and well-informed position to contribute to things like policy decisions, resource allocation and the like.  Please do make a point to get out to vote!”

Voting is an incredible right that we have, so let’s use it. See you this Friday with your Stag Card! 

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!